Benjamin has discovered that the computer is the best toy EVER. Suddenly my little 3 1/2 year old is a computer game junkie. He just loves playing games on the computer. It started with The Friend magazine online. They have the BEST website. We sat down to look at it one day and the first thing we clicked on was a huge selection of church pictures turned into jigsaw puzzles. BINGO! If you know anything about Benjamin, you know that BENNY = PUZZLE. He was in HEAVEN! He quickly made the rounds and did all 16 puzzles. Then he stopped using the puzzle shapes' outlines hints, and within the day he was doing the puzzles at turbo pace. It was so funny - he was seriously GLUED to the computer. It reminded me of MYSELF when I'm reading a book.... can't tear myself away. Anyway, he was addicted to the Friend website and it was actually a cool thing because they play primary music to go along with the puzzles, so I would sing along to it as I did chores, and he would show me his finished puzzles and ask lots of questions which gave me an opportunity to teach him more about the scriptures. Soon he was navigating the entire website and eventually he discovered the Scripture Readers. We read from the Book of Mormon Stories reader every night, but the one of the computer is special. It has someone reading the words while the pictures are displayed on a slideshow, in a movie format. Wow! Now, as you know, Benny also equals MOVIES, so this was really exciting for him. He listened to and attentively watched chapter after chapter in the New Testament reader, Book of Mormon reader... I was laughing to myself thinking if this was what he wanted to watch, then I'd let him watch 'movies' all day! :) Anyway, a week or so later Jed introduced him to an online preschooler game and that was the beginning of the end. Now he has his own little website icons just for him that he begs me to play on ALL DAY. I mean, he begs me ALL DAY and he wishes he could play on them ALL DAY. Believe me, it starts BEFORE breakfast. :) Oh, that kid is hilarious. I'm wondering what Jed and I have done to our child...
Well, in case you are interested, here are our favorites. And if you have any favorites, go ahead and share!
The Friend - http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ae20e975d2a2b010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0 - This is such a fun website for kids! Benjamin absolutely LOVED LOVED LOVED their jigsaw puzzles. There's also online coloring, slideshows, Matt & Mandy stories, etc etc.
Building Blocks for a Better Future - http://bblocks.samhsa.gov/children/games/ - they have a fun memory game.
Kaboose Fun School - http://funschool.kaboose.com/preschool/index.html - "Fishin' Mission" is a super fun game that works with addition skills. "Stack it or Build it" is super fun too - one of the games is a crane that puts numbered blocks in order. I was pleasantly surprised when Benjamin immediatley put blocks numbered with 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 in the right order. It's great practice! And the "Color and Play" is like the Friends website where you can color online.


5 comments:
We've recently discovered Sesamestreet.org it is great! It's loaded with games, (and of course they are learning games) and videos. Ashton can spend hours on it. He can't quite do the games yet (except one), but knows how to watch videos and use the mouse. Check it out!
that is hilarious! I was laughing about the whole scripture slideshow/movie thing too - what a funny guy!
That is so funny! We were out with some friends the other night whose three year old has a similar obsession. I'll bet he'll be doing circles around us on the computers by the time he's in kindergarten. :)
Thank you, Thank you for sharing those sights. That will be perfect activities for Jackson and Walker to do while they are here. I can just see Benjamin concentrating on his computer activites. Love Grandma Walker
I would love to see Ben at the computer! Can you believe it! He will be running circles around you in a few years.
Post a Comment