Thursday, August 20, 2009

Young Womens Girls Camp

In July I went to Girls Camp with my Young Women. I was the only leader that went up to camp. I had to make arrangments with four of my good friends to take care of Benjamin and Eliza for the four days that I was gone. Pretty much they just rotated the kids between them, and one of them even had the kids sleep at her house every night, because Jed was working 80-90 hours/week that month. I am so grateful for what kind and serving friends I have.
My camp experience was SO FUN. I seriously loved it. I was a little bit apprehensive about going, just because I haven't been to camp as a leader before, I didn't really know what to expect and all that. But seriously, I had such a fun time and met some really cool adult women and also was able to get to know lots of youth in our stake. It was so fun to hang out with the girls! I honestly want to go every summer now. :)





Funny story... While I was eating lunch with some girls at a table on the 2nd or 3rd day, one other adult leader said, "Sister Walker, do you have any children?" I said, "Yes, I have two kids." The girl sitting next to the adult leader looked at me with wide eyes. She was one of the only girls from her ward that came to camp, and she didn't have any adult leaders from her ward, plus she was very shy, so I had been hanging out with her a lot on our hikes and activities. I smiled and said, "Are you surprised?" and she nodded, still wide eyed. Then the adult leader said, "She thought you were a 3rd year camper!" Now it was my turn to be surprised! This whole time she had thought that I was one of the 14 year olds in her group!!! What makes it even funnier is that earlier that day I had been pestering her and a couple other girls to get their scriptures out and start reading them when we took a break on our hike for personal scripture study. And she didn't even know I was a leader at the time. :)
And this happened again.... My friend, who was also an adult leader from another ward, told me that she and a young girl were watching a group of us out the cabin window and they saw me running to the office to get something. The girl next to my friend said, "Isn't she a first year?" When my friend told me that I didn't know whether to laugh or cry - She thought I was TWELVE YEARS OLD??! Holy cow! I know I was enthusiastic and joined the girls in games of volleyball, canoeing, bracelet making, singing camp songs, and playing with the kareoke machine, but did I act like a 12 year old? I sure hope not! :)
I guess when you're an adult you don't mind making a fool of yourself singing camp songs and acting in skits. My readiness to join in games must have made me look like one of the girls. :)

Here I am with my Laurel President. We had such a great time. I'm glad I was able to go. :)

17 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh, that's hilarious, Erin! LOL!!! you do look young, but 12!!! :)
How fun you joined them in all the activities! You will be well remembered by your girls.
One of the nurses asked Lincoln once if he was old enough to vote. When he happily exclaimed that he has 4 kids, she was very astonished. People ask me all the time if I'm old enough to have kids! I hate the statement, but see it as a fortune to look young, once we're 50, we'll look like late 20's!

Missy said...

Haha! That is so funny. When I was teaching school I would always have parents come in and ask me where my teacher was. Very embarrassing to blend with middle schoolers. It's good to look young though!

Troy said...

Much better to have someone make that type of mistake about your age.

It destroys your ego the first time someone offers you the senior discount.

Diann said...

What makes you a wonderful leader is your readiness to join in and not set apart! Never lose that! Besides, hello? Camping with a bunch of girls just screams "Let's get silly!" to me and that is what I would have done! :)

Ashley said...

You were so good to go, I would have thought "Two kids, husband working 80 hours, can't go!" 12 years old? No. Maybe 13 :) That happened to me in Nauvoo at a youth stake activity. J and I were sitting with a bunch of kids playing that game where you say two things that are true and one lie about yourself and everyone has to figure out which one was the lie. I said something like...I play the violin, I love soccer, and I'm pregnant. When they decided soccer was the lie, another leader's eyes got so big and looked obviously uncomfortable. Immediately I said "No! I'm married! He's my husband!"

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill said...

That is too funny! Don't feel too bad I get told all the time I don't look old enough to have 3 kids, and I often wonder if people assume I am a teen mom or something! I am glad you had fun I love girls camp!

Melanie said...

That's hilarious. You definitely look young but in a good way - not in a 12-year old way.

I'm glad camp was fun!

Our Family said...

Camp is such a blast! I went up again this year but as ward camp and while I was there, our bishop announced to me that I would be released as yw pres. in a couple weeks. I was so sad! You really just love the youth! My sister Michelle has been mistaken for a beehive or miamaid before as a leader! Just enjoy it! At least you're not mistaken for your husband's MOTHER like I have! Now that is DEPRESSING!! ha!
you are such a fun mom and leader! hope you're all doing great!
Katie

Michel said...

Erin you would be such a fun leader, you are not boring and so willing to get in and participate. As for looking young, you do and that is a treat. I used to get asked often if I was one of the youth.... that was 20 years ago and now I get asked if I want the senior discounts.... I wish I could go back to the young comments although I LOVE being old because now I have cute grandkids. Love Grandma Walker

Brittany said...

Oh my goodness that is hilarious!!! I think it is 100% cool that they thought you were a yw! For one thing, that means you look very young - always a good thing. Secondly it means that you are stilted and weird, or even just boring, with the girls (like lots of adults) - you make them feel comfortable and at ease with you! Also it means that you don't talk about yourself a lot since they didn't know the basics about you! I think it's great. I know you are a wonderful YW president!

Brittany said...

ok now I'm laughing out loud! I am so glad I reread my comment! I meant to say you are NOT stilted and weird!! For pete's sake, that sounded awful the way I wrote it! :) Luckily you are my sister and also the forgiving sort!!

Brittany said...

I can't stop laughing! I am dying at how rude that sounded!! You know what, I really needed a laugh right now so thank you for giving me the opportunity and safe place to really put my foot in my mouth! I love you!!

Erin said...

Brittany, I am in hysterics - that was so funny! Seriously, I kept rereading it because it was so hilarious! haha! Thanks for giving ME a laugh too! Love you, sis!

Mindy said...

Ok, that was hilarious! I agree that you look young.. a laurel, maybe a miamaid, but NEVER a beehive. You are so cute, sis. Being in young womens would totally intimidate me. Well, I'm sports director for the YW... but that is totally different. :) Anyway, I had to laugh at Baba's comment, too. How funny. Still, I agree with her true meaning 100%. Love you!

Amy said...

I totally know how you feel Erin. I get comments all the time about how young I look:) It doesn't really bug me tho, just makes me laugh to myself. I hope they still say that to me when I'm 40! It probably doesn't help that Matt is 8 yrs older than me. I'm sure I told you already, but someone once asked me if I was his daughter!!! It was hilarious. I loved girls camp growing up and am sure you are such a fun, amazing leader!

Melanie Anne said...

Ok that is so funny! I also can't quit laughing at Brittany's comments. Ha ha. I love my sisters! Camp looks like is was so fun. I can tell you are an awesome leader!!