Saturday, December 12, 2009

Benjamin learns a lesson from King Wenceslas...

My #1 top all-time favorite Christmas Carol is Good King Wenceslas. I have the whole thing memorized and have sung it to Benjamin over the past holiday seasons. He now asks for it whenever we sing Christmas Carols. The other day I was belting it out in the car and came to the part, "Bring me flesh and bring me wine, bring me pine logs hither" and Benjamin said, "Mom, are they bad men?" I was surprised that I hadn't ever explained the story of the song to him, and immediately started to explain to him what it was about, "Oh, no, honey. Good King Wenceslas was a good, kind, serving King..." and I told him all about the story and what the words meant --- about how he was bringing food, water, and wood to the peasant man that he saw, and how his page was getting cold and didn't think he could trudge through the snow any further, and how Good King Wenceslas told him to walk in his footsteps in the snow where he would find a bit of relief from the storm. I couldn't believe it, but I actually started to get all choked up!! (I know, I am so crazy. I really love this song, though!)
Anyway, the next day we went to the library and Benjamin begged to go to the park. I relented even though it was too cold to be outside without winter parkas. Anyway, after a while I told him we needed to go inside because I was getting really cold. Benjamin then said, "Mom, walk where I'm walking, in my footsteps, and you won't be so cold." I thought that was adorable. :)

Therefore, Christian men, be sure, wealth or rank possessing,

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.

5 comments:

Michel said...

Oh, that is so sweet. He must have been thinking about the story since you told him. You are such a good mom and have such neat traditions to share with your family. Love Grandma Walker

Brittany said...

That was so cute! So did it work? Were you warm and toasty walking in his footsteps?! :) I love that song too and the analogy of the Master and us walking in His footsteps and how it will help us get through the bad storms in life. Anyway, give that cute boy a kiss from Aunt Baba! Love you guys!

Mindy said...

I love that song, too! It is definitely in my top three christmas songs. that post made me laugh and get teary eyed. What a sweet little boy!

Anonymous said...

I love your Christmas spirit! What a great lesson you taught Ben. You look so great too! Man, you just have a little bump and that's it! I loved the picture of Jed reading the kids stories too, what a good dad.

Melanie Anne said...

That is so sweet! I love that song too. Your words obvisouly sunk in! Ben is such a tender little guy!!