I like homemade icecream...if it's just right. If it doesn't reach that level of perfection, then I would almost rather have store bought. Sometimes it's too creamy and it coats the inside of your mouth with a residue of cream. Sometimes it's too icy and not smooth like icecream ought to be. Sometimes it's bland. But sometimes you taste that perfectly smooth and delicious homemade icecream that knocks you off your feet. Whenever that happens to me with any food, I try to get the recipe. A few years ago I got the recipe for this amazing lemon icecream. It is so wonderful that when I eat it I can't stop myself from closing my eyes and savoring every spoonful. If I could find one more homemade icecream recipe that I loved as much as this one, I would be truly happy!
Lemon Icecream
makes 4 quarts
4 eggs, beaten
3 1/2 c. plus 1 T. sugar
1 T. mexican vanilla
1/2 T. lemon extract
2 quarts whole milk (8 cups)
1 1/2 pints whipping cream (3 cups)
Mix all ingredients and put in a large pot. Heat on medium-high stove, stirring constantly, until an instant-read thermometer registers 160°, about 5 minutes. Let cool slightly, pour into a metal icecream canister and refrigerate for 24 hours.
Freeze in icecream maker according to manufacturers instructions. The secret to good homemade icecream is the ratio between salt and ice. For every 2 inches of ice, add a layer of 1/4 c. rock salt.
When the icecream is frozen, you can take out two big bowl-fulls and then begin mixing the remaining icecream again and it will fill up the churn once more. This is optional, but it makes more icecream for a big crowd.
*When I first got this recipe, I was so sad to discover that the eggs were raw. I didn't make it for a long time because of that. But I researched salmonella and discovered that heating an egg mixture to 160° will kill all salmonella that might be present in the eggs. This process didn't change the taste or texture of this delicious icecream! Now the whole world of raw-egg-homemade-icecream is opened to me!
*By the way, I don't recommend Martha Stewart's French Vanilla Icecream. It wasn't that great. Maybe because it was custard-based...? Or maybe because it didn't have much taste to it...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I LOVED this ice cream! I really need an ice cream maker!
Also, you can simply wash the egg, and that takes away any risk.
I looked it up, and Salmonella is actually found in the yolk and egg white as well. Sometimes it's found on the outside of the shell too. Too bad, because I wish it was as easy as washing off the egg! You got my hopes up for a minute!!!
Post a Comment