I bought this out-of-print book by M. M. Kaye at the library booksale a few months ago. I bought it because I remember reading her other works, The Far Pavilions and Trade Wind, years ago and liking them. This was an enjoyable murder mystery with some unexpected twists. It was very suspenseful; this author did a great job in that aspect. It was published in 1955 and I could definitely tell. It had the same romantic ending that seems to be characteristic of that time period - where the hero and heroine suddenly fall in love and you have maybe 1 or 2 sentences to be excited for them, and then it ends. :) The Wedding Bargain by Agnes Sligh Turnbull (published 1966) is the same way. I think these early authors are very fun to read, but I sometimes wish they would prolong and develop the romantic climax a little. :)I LOVE collecting out-of-print books from the 50's/60's/70's. I particularly keep my eye out for books by Madeleine Brent; I also consider Victoria Holt books when I see them. Sometimes Victoria Holt is hit or miss - I remember liking Mistress of Mellyn, but I hated The Legend of the Seventh Virgin. Is there anyone else out there that likes these types of books? Or has a good one to recommend to me?
*Althought this was an enjoyable read, I'm not necessarily recommending this book.... I only recommend AWESOME books. It would be safe to say that I would recommend anything by Madeleine Brent. Check out my book list to the right to see all my top recommendations. :)


4 comments:
I'm impressed you were able to stay away as long as you did! I loved the wedding bargain. Good luck on your book hunt, I'm no good with out of date books. Sorry I don't have any good ones for you........
I didn't mean out of date, I meant out of print.
I love those books, too, sis! I'll have to borrow that one someday. Love you, Mindy. PS We are going to miss you in Seaside!
You opened my eyes to these books! I read The Wedding Bargain and loved it! I will definitely keep my eyes open and let you know if I find any others that I think you will like! I love looking for out of print books as well, so I will keep you posted if I find any on my personal treasure hunts! I can't wait to have some options in a few weeks! :)
Post a Comment