Saturday, December 22, 2007

Look at the talent!


This morning we decorated gingerbread sleighs together. This is a Walker family tradition - Jed says that every year they would all decorate sleighs together and then fill them up with homemade candy and take them to their neighbors. I think that is the cutest idea, so we are carrying on the tradition.
The preparation has a long timeline - I made the gingerbread dough one day, rolled it out and cut it using a pattern the next day, let it dry out a few days to make it nice and hard, assembled the sleighs with frosting on Friday, and then we decorated them today. For the recipe and patterns, go here: http://www.thesisterscafe.com/2010/12/gingerbread-sleighs-2. The frosting recipe is awesome - it dries like cement!

Jed is a pro at decorating these babies. Check out his awesome scenery.


We had such a blast! Benjamin helped Jed by finding the right colored skittles for his pattern, and eating a skittle between every one he handed to Jed. That kid ate more candy during our sleigh decorating than he has ever had in his life. Funny thing is, he would pick out an M&M, skittle, or smartie and say "This one, Momma?" to ask for permission to eat it. Jed and I usually said, "Eat a bite of your apple slice first, okay?" and he actually would put the candy down obediently and take a bite of apple. Then he would say again, "This one? This one, Momma?" It was so cute how he was asking us for permission, and dutifully eating his apple. (Of course, he also popped a lot of candies in his mouth without asking for permission. Don't get me wrong - he's no dummy! He knows to take advantage of candy-eating opportunities that come his way.) :)

4 comments:

Tif Sweeney said...

These are soooo cute!! What a great idea! And, I love your creative patterns as well . . . I would have never guessed that it was your first year!

valerie said...

Wow these look awesome! Such a cute idea. I was to chicken to even try a square ginger bread house this year. Your sleighs turned out great.

Melanie said...

So I'm embarrassed I even posted our sleds since yours look professional. Wow - great artist ability on all parts. And very cute about obedient little Ben. CAn he come teach my boys some manners, please?

Anonymous said...

What beautiful sleighs! I am especially impressed with the present Jed made on his. Tell him great job!