I watched the funeral for President Gordon B. Hinckley yesterday. I wanted to watch it because I loved him, respected him, and will always have a special place in my heart for him. But I didn't expect to feel so inspired and uplifted by listening to the speakers and watching the tribute "In His Own Words." Afterwards, I left feeling determined to be more committed to the Savior, to stand a little taller in the gospel.... I won't share all my thoughts here, but I am so thankful for the life President Hinckley lived. A life that truly showed the way to Jesus Christ. His example stands as a beacon to me. I feel so much gratitude to him.
"I take in my hand the Book of Mormon. I read its words. I have read Joseph Smith's explanation of how it came to be. To the unbelieving it is a story difficult to accept, and critics for generations have worn out their lives writing books intended to refute that story and to offer other explanations than the one given by Joseph the Prophet. But to the open-minded, this critical writing has only stimulated them to dig deeper; and the more deeply they dig, the greater the accumulation of evidence for the validity of Joseph Smith's story. Still, as has been demonstrated for a hundred and fifty years, the truth of the Book of Mormon will not be determined by literary analysis or by scientific research, although these continue to be reassuring. The truth about the origins of the Book of Mormon will be determined today and tomorrow, as it has been throughout the yesterdays, by reading the book in a spirit of reverence and respect and prayer."
(President Gordon B. Hinckley, "Praise to the Man," Ensign, Aug. 1983, p. 4)
I heard about the "Hinckley Challenge" from my sister, Melanie. This website, http://www.hinckleychallenge.com/, has been set up as a way to honor President Gordon B. Hinckley. Here's the challenge: "President Hinckley often stressed our making the Book of Mormon part of our lives. He was 97 when he passed away, and we would like to celebrate his life and teachings by reading the Book of Mormon in 97 days."
Well, I'm doing it. I'm going to accept the "Hinckley Challenge" and read the Book of Mormon in 97 days. I think if I kept this goal a secret, I would never reach it. So, I'm recording this goal so that I am accountable to someone... anyone. Just the fact that someone out there knows that I made this goal will help motivate me. I know, I know, I'm feeling reckless! I'm scared to death that I am going to fail miserably, but that fear has often kept me from making and reaching difficult goals (that is, goals that are difficult to ME). Sometimes I feel like I am a person with great intentions... but that's it. So this post is my attempt to help myself accomplish something I want to. So here goes!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
Thanks for sharing all of your feelings of such a wonderful man, Erin!!! And thank you for posting this challenge!!! It's just what I need to get going and reading it from cover to cover! I'm with you on this one :)
Wow. I'm impressed! Keep us posted on your progress (can't say as I can commit to this one yet...)!
That's wonderful Erin - you've inspired me to do the same. I agree about Pres Hinckley - what an incredible, inspiring man. I'm going to really miss him.
Erin, you are so sweet!!! I love that first quote so much. I think you're awesome for accepting the challenge. I've made the goal to finish Jesus the Christ since I've never made it past the 2nd chapter until now. But I will cheer you on!! GO ERIN!!! I'm sure it will be such a great experience!
Erin--I am glad you got my email about the challenge! I am doing it too! I figured that I need to read about 5-6 pages a day! My boys are going to read 97 pages in 97 days for their goal! I am excited Love you, Melanie
Erin. I love you, honey.
Erin
I am glad you are going to the bofm challange
I think President Hinkley will be please with what ever progress we make during this challenge..and he would rather us take our time and feel the great spirit that is there rather just trying to race though it..and besides it doesnt matter how quickly you read the bofm but what you get out of it.
I know it will be a blessing whether or not you finish..and i dont think you are going to fail you will do great..
Post a Comment