Wednesday, September 10, 2008

First day of Preschool!

Benjamin started preschool today! I can't believe how big he is. What a handsome sweet kid he's become. When I interact with him during the day I always think of him as being so big and grown up. But every now and then I look at him objectively and realize that he's still pretty little - I mean, he's just three! I know that a few years from now I'll be looking back on these pictures and thinking he was such a little guy. I hope I'm cherishing every minute with him...
Look at those three handsome boys! And their first-day-of-school excitement.
My two friends and I are doing a rotating home preschool. We hold it once a week for two hours and take turns having it at our own homes. We have a little curriculum we're following and a schedule of what we're doing during the 2 hours. Today was at our house.
We start with an opening, which includes a prayer, discussing what day it is, going outside and checking and reporting on the weather, and reciting the pledge of allegiance to the flag (we have one by our front door, which is convenient). That was an especially cute part of our preschool experience today. Three little boys and I facing our big flag waving by the front porch, and having them recite the words of the pledge of allegiance after me. How darling!
Our lesson today was "My Name and Age." We talked about birthdays and looked at pictures at each of them when they were babies and at each
of their birthdays. We practiced tracing their names. Benjamin is at a disadvantage since he has a super long name. :) Abram was done with all six of his names when Benjamin had only completed two. Luckily he doesn't recognize the injustice yet. :) Don't worry - I didn't make him finish them all. :)
The funnest part of our day was the activity - making their initials out of pretzel dough! They actually helped me make the dough (pretzel dough is the easiest dough in the world) and then we had fun shaping it. Then they got to 'paint' the dough with the egg-wash before we popped the pan in the oven to bake. Pretty exciting. :)
Anyway, we had a fun day. All three of the boys had a blast showing each other the contents of their pencil boxes. They each compared scissors, enjoyed their personal box of crayons, and revelled in stuffing their papers into their treasured backpacks. Oh the backpacks. They were darling when it came to their backpacks! We couldn't move rooms or do anything without them strapping on their backpack. Even while we were mixing the pretzel dough, they were all either wearing their backpack or trying to put it on. What cuties!

13 comments:

Melanie Anne said...

How FUN!! Benny looks soo cute! I can't beleive how old he is getting! Those pretzels are really fun! Love you!

Brittany said...

That is SO cute! WOw - that age is just darling! I was laughing so hard about the backpacks! YOu are such a clever, witty writer - I love all your comments like the injustice of Ben's name. haha! Ben is absolutely handsome - what a cutie pie!

Anonymous said...

I love that picture of you and Benny on his first day of "pre" school! You are right, he seems alot older than 3!! Can't wait to see you guys in November. Love you, darlin. Dad S

Anonymous said...

What fun activites you did and how cute it was to see Ben so intent on them. I think the whole concept is a great idea. I loved reading about it. Love Grandma Walker

Anonymous said...

I just love the picture of you and Benjamin. he just looks so proud with his new backpack! Too adorable!

Where do you find all your energy? If you can figure out a way to bottle it up, I will be the first one in line to buy it!!

Mindy said...

What a cute blog. Benny does look so old, especially with his hair gelled like that. Where did you guys find the curriculum? It sounds darling. I love that you are praying with them and doing the pledge of allegiance. No wonder Ben was so excited to tell me about preschool when you called yesterday! :)

Amy said...

You are the cutest mom ever! How do you get everything done? You're amazing! Benjamin is so cute! Can you believe how fast life goes?

Marnie said...

Benjamin is so adorable. I just realized that he and Lauren are the same age...I don't know why I never put that together before. I am doing a similiar co-op with my friends. What curriculum are you using?

Mandi said...

I cannot believe he is in preschool! He is getting so big. Erin, you look great!

DeAnne said...

How fun! Ben is so grown up. I will have to show Brandon--he has always been fond of Ben because he could down the nursery snacks so fast. He always got a kick out of that. Now he is so big!

Missy said...

Erin, I love your blog. Your kids are so cute. And I have to admit, I check your Sisters' cafe blog pretty often too. Between the Sterzer girls and your mom being my foods teacher in 7th grade I would say all I know about cooking comes from your family!
Anyway, keep up the great cooking! (I have a long way to go...)

Amy said...

I can't believe he's starting preschool! I bet those kids just love it! That's such a cute activity idea. Keep a copy of your lesson plans-I might have to swip a copy in a few years:) Love you.

Anonymous said...

What a fun little mama you are honey. I remember doing activities like this with you. It seems like yesterday . . . I am glad you are enjoying your kids like this; these are the best memories of all!
XOXO Mom