Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentines

Happy Valentines! Valentines has always been one of my favorite holidays. Growing up I remember spending HOURS creating each individual valentine for my family members. When it was finally Valentines Day we would deliver our valentines to each other by doorbell ditching the front door and leaving the valentine on the step. We would try to sneak in the back door and look innocent while the door was answered. What fun! How in the world did this tradition start, I wonder? Anyway, with five kids in the family, and each one of us delivering six valentines, you can imagine our doorbell was going off ALL day! :)

Now I have to settle for sending all my valentines to my family in addressed envelopes, but that's okay. I still love making and sending valentines. Jed's parents sent us a Valentines package, which we opened on Friday and then immediately changed the kids into the cute Valentines clothes their Grandma Walker sent them. :) My mom sent us a pink Valentines package which we opened on Saturday morning (pictured). It was full of fun Valentines things and the kids had a blast looking at everything!

On Friday night we had a fun family night of decorating cookies. I made a few different colors of frosting and we used different piping tips and had a creative time with our sugar cookies. Then we took a plate to each of our neighbors. Benjamin ended up just wanting to squeeze as much frosting as he could on to his cookies. He would end up with a mountain of frosting at which point he would proclaim his masterpiece complete and commence to lick it all off. Gross! :)

This picture was too funny to not include! Ben has a pained expression and Jed looks threatening!! Maybe he thought I was going to make fun of the poo-brown color of frosting he mixed by himself and then decorated his cookie with... :)

10 comments:

Melanie said...

What a fun mom you are, Erin! I loved the pictures. Your kids (and Jed for that matter) will have so many fun memories because you have such an excitement for the holidays.

Brittany said...

that made me laugh - that last picture!! :) I love each holiday... and I LOVE looking back on the fun and crazy traditions we had!!

Kylie Walker said...

how fun! We got your valentine yesterday, thank you! I'm glad to hear you all had a happy valentine's day

Mindy said...

I love our crazy doorbell ditching tradition. I can't believe I forgot to do it for Griff this year. :) It looks like you guys had a very exciting V Day. We LOVED your Valentine you sent. I was going to tell you, I just found a Valentine you made me years ago. It is a heart with my name cut out on front. There are not one, not two... but three background layers cut out behind my name. it is seriously a masterpiece. I can never throw it away. :)

Melanie Anne said...

Happy Heart day!! Cute pictures--and your cookies look so progessional!! Wow even Benny is using decorating bags--very impressive! You are a great Mom! And THANK YOU SO MUCH for the valentine! We loved receiving that in the mail. Coleman was very distressed that we didn't send any to you! I am sorry I am so lame-o. Just know that we LOVE you so much! XOXO

Amy said...

Ok, I love that you are such an amazingly fun mom! Those pictures are so fun! I love the last one! Jed looks like he's about to take someone out! :)

Merianne said...

You are such a good mom! I hope I have as much patience as you do when I have children.

Anonymous said...

Erin, you are such a great mom. It was fun to get the cute valentines from Benjamin and Eliza when I got home from Maine. Cerissa's family LOVED getting special valentines from your family, it brightened their day. What a beautiful tribute to your mom, I can see why you are such a great mom, have an appreciation for good literature, and do such fun things with your family. Thanks for sharing.
Love Grandma Walker

Jan S said...

Hi Erie,
About Valentine door-bell ditching. . . We will have to ask Grandma Rice if they did this when she was a little girl, but I know we did it on the farm in Bradshaw Sidings. We would make Valentines out of whatever we had on hand - aluminum foil, feathers, pieces of saved wrapping paper, old scraps of red or pink cloth, etc. Then we would deliver them just as you described. We were 12 miles from town out on that windswept prairie farm, and with only five us, but I remember the excitement even after all these years! It's fun how traditions make it through the generations, isn't it?

Brooke said...

Hey Erin! It was so fun to hear from you. It was great to look at your family, your kids are adorable. I can't believe how long it has been since I have seen you. Do you mind if I put you on our blog list?
Brooke