
After Niagara Falls, we traveled to Palmyra, New York, to see some church history sites. First we went to the Visitor's Center at the base of the Hill Cumorah. This is where Joseph Smith found the gold plates (later to be translated into the Book of Mormon), by the direction of the Angel Moroni. The Visitor's Center was really neat; there were a lot of different stations with multi-media presentations and videos to watch. We then walked up the Hill Cumorah to the top. I was surprised by how steep it was.

At the top of the hill there was a monument depicting the Angel Moroni appearing to Joseph Smith. On top of the monument there was a statue of the Angel Moroni. It was so neat to be there. All the events that transpired here felt very real as we were standing in the place where they happened. 

When we walked into the log home where Joseph Smith grew up, Benjamin immediately ran over to the fireplace, got on all hands and knees, and began prying at the bricks in the hearth. He excitedly repeated, "This is where they hid the gold plates!" At first I was really confused as to how he knew that, but then I realized that at the visitor's center we watched a movie about how Joseph Smith protected the plates from being stolen, and in the movie it showed him hiding them under the bricks in the hearth. Benny immediately recognized the place and was SO EXCITED, as if he was going to uncover them himself!
Lastly, we went to the Sacred Grove. I felt awed that God the Eternal Father and his Son, Jesus Christ, actually condescended to appear to a young boy, in an obscure wooded area on this land. It seems unfathomable and yet I know that it happened. I am thankful for the gospel and how it affects my life and my family. Happiness really does come from following God's plan for us. Our trip was great and I'm glad we were able to be at these holy places.






7 comments:
Wow--I would LOVE to go see these sacred places! Thanks for sharing the great pictures! What a wonderful trip and what a sweet little family you have! I miss you guys!!
I enjoyed that, Erin, esp your feelings about it all!! Wish I could have been there. Dad
This is so fun! Josh and I just took this trip a few weeks ago - just the two of us - and it was wonderful! What special places! You can really feel the Spirit there! Glad you guys could go visit as a family!
Beautiful pictures! Nate went this week to Palmyra too, and felt those feelings as well. You must be loving your time with Jed around. And, Eliza is looking like a toddler now, how do they get so big so fast!
I loved your testimony, Erin. Palmyra is another place I would love to go. My stake has challenged us to read the Book of Mormon in a hundred days, so I just started again. Joseph Smith's testimony is still fresh in my mind from reading it, and I can imagine how neat it would be to visit the place where it all happened. I love how smart Benny is, too. I'm impressed that he was watching the video so well! I love you!
thanks for sharing your testimony, Erin! I got to feel the Spirit and it was awesome! :) that trip looked wonderful - what a great opportunity for you guys! I love seeing Eliza in her little hat, by the way - so cute!! And I LOVED the story of Ben excitedly prying at the bricks in the hearth. Nothing gets by that little guy! He is so smart!!
I forgot to say I love that first picture of you and Eliza. You are such a darling mommy!! YOu look so young and cute with her!!
Post a Comment