Thursday, December 3, 2009

An encounter with Snakey

Jed came home a couple weeks ago with a teeny-tiny little snake that he had found on the sidewalk. He had scooped it up in a cup and brought it home as a surprise for Ben and Eliza. They loved 'Snakey'! Above you can see little Eliza waving to Snakey and saying "Hi snake! Hi!"

This video is so funny! I really wish the lighting was better. Eliza wasn't afraid of holding the snake at all. She thought it was fun! However, Ben was put off the idea of holding Snakey when Snakey pooped a little on Eliza when we first took him out of the cup. (The poor snake was pretty frightened I'm sure!) At the end of the video, Benjamin declines holding him and says, "He might poop on me."


We kept Snakey for a few days in this tupperware. I felt bad starving the poor thing, so we took the kids to Petsmart and spent 70 cents on five tiny minnows (which is what garder snakes would like to eat). Well, Snakey didn't touch the minnow (who was swimming around in a bit of water in a half of an egg shell). At that point, Jed looked Snakey up on the Michigan snake registry and he is actually a brown snake, not a garder snake. And brown snakes live mostly under the dirt and like to eat slugs and worms. Ben and Jed went outside at night to search for worms, but to no avail. So we let Snakey go back to the wild. I really hope he wasn't too weak for lack of food to be able to bounce back.... Maybe we will come across him again in the summer. He was a good little pet snake! (And now I have the deaths of five little minnows on my conscious... I feel guilty that they all just died eventually.... well, three did and the other two were killed in fishbowl water changing accidents (ask the spoon, not me... we found out it's true what Jed's dad says: Use the right tool for the right job....) )
Anyway, the kids loved Jed's surprise, and we sure had fun with Snakey!

We had just put the minnow in Snakey's 'habitat'. We all sat and watched him expectantly, as if he was going to pounce on the minnow and gulp him down before our very eyes. I think we watched him for longer than I am willing to admit. "Any second now..... oh! -there, he moved toward the minnow.... hmmm..... any moment..."

14 comments:

Michel said...

That video is a keeper. Little Eliza and her cute voice are so sweet. She is such a brave girl, I am with Benjamin and not wanting to get you know what on me, YUCK! What a fun pet and memory they will have. We sure miss you. Love Grandma Walker

Brittany said...

Oh my gosh that is so funny! Your description of you all waiting on the edge of your seat to see Snakey wolf down his minnow supper...and the video of Ben and Eliza. SO CUTE!! Eliza is so old, I can't believe it. I loved to see her in a video. The kids are growing up so fast!

Liz said...

"found on the sidewalk" or a little souvenir from an especially strange night in the ER? Eh Jed? (This is a crazy childhood friend of the Walkers' who got the scoop from Cerissa. Don't think I'm a perv!)

Missy said...

That is the cutest child playing with a snake video I have EVER seen!

rebecca said...

I LOVE Eliza's little voice as she's playing with snakey!!! You are awesome parents. I'm not sure I would even bring a snake into my house and I have 3 boys!!!

Melanie said...

This post was hilarious, Erin. I admire you for even letting little snakey into the house!! Your kids reactions are adorable.

Anonymous said...

that is funny
shane

Jan S said...

Well that was a very cute video. I loved hearing Eliza's voice - she's pretty brave! That was so funny of Ben to be concerned over the poop. Ha! I miss your family so much . . . can hardly wait for March.
XOXOXOX Mom

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! I think I would have been scared out of my mind when I was Eliza's age but they loved that snake! Man kids are easy to please! I love you guys, hope your feeling great and doing great!

Kylie Walker said...

That is awesome guys. I hope you don't mind, but I sent a link to PETA - just warning you Erin, they may object to the minnow murder incident... However, your love of nature is admirable. Nate

Melanie Anne said...

WHat an adventure for your family and little snakey!! This post is so cute!! I loved hearing the kids voices! They are getting so big! XOXOXO

rebecca said...

I just had a memory of your love of nature:) Remember the slow turtle in Kirksville by our house and the old lady? Was that you or Ashley??

Mindy said...

Oh, I can't believe how big Eliza is getting! I thought it was adorable watching her giggle at the snake. And Ben's fear that the snake would poop on him was hilarious! Someday he might not appreciate this video where his little sister was tougher than him, though. :) haha

Wilsons said...

You are braver than I. Even a snake that size would NOT be able to come into my house! I can't believe Eliza liked it so much. How fun!