Sunday, February 21, 2010

This and That - January & February

My friend, Jen, and I took our kids to the Henry Ford Museum in January. The kids enjoyed the excursion. It was a great winter day activity!I just had to get a picture of Eliza wearing this cute little dress. I bought it at a Mom2Mom sale when I was pregnant with her, and it seemed like the day would never come when she would actually be big enough to fit into it...
This is what I have to do in order to take a shower around here. The kids freak out if I say I'm going to take a shower, and I've discovered that one way to appease them is to tell them how exciting it will be to snuggle up with blankets on the couch and look at books while I take a quick shower. :) I've used this incentive with Benjamin since he was a little boy. I'm glad it works for Eliza too. :)
Ben and Eliza in their 'fort'... complete with boxes, pillows, board games, all our coats that were left out, a toy firetruck, bball hoop and slide. It was one beautiful mess.
This picture is SO TYPICAL! I love it! This is Eliza displaying just to what extent she is willing to stoop when it comes to scavengering everyone else's clothes... Notice my dirty pair of fluff-socks covering up her cute tights, and Benjamin's pair of black crocs. With an old black beenie to complete the picture she looks positively homeless. Jed was laughing, pointing out how other little girls will dress up in their princess playclothes, but since we don't have much of that, she goes for the hobo look. He said she only needed a bottle in a brown paper bag to make it complete. :) haha!
By the way, I took her hobo beenie off and gave her her own cute knit beenie to play with, and she had a complete melt-down. She did NOT want her cute hat, she wanted that OTHER hat!
Last of all, Jed and I thought this little scene was adorable. A few Sundays ago, we put on The Testament: Of One Fold and One Shepherd for Ben to watch. When Eliza woke up, she joined him, just at the part when Jesus was ministering to the people. Benjamin was being so tender and sweet to her. (Talking about Jesus often makes him super sweet and loving - it's pretty cute.) He had his arm around her and was tenderly patting her head and telling her about what Jesus was doing in the movie. It was just adorable watching them!

7 comments:

Brittany said...

I loved seeing all those pictures and hearing about it all. Ben and Eliza are just beautiful! that first pic is so cute, Erin. We have got to have the absolute cutest kids in the world in our family! :) I LOVED that dress on Eliza - I can't wait to have a girl! Eric was looking at this with me and he wanted to know why I can't get all the kids' clothes like you at mom2mom sales! I was like I WISH!!! I went to a sale like that recently and all the clothes looked really used AND they were expensive! I couldn't believe it. Onesies and pjs were $6-8! Isn't that appalling?! I'm spoiled after hearing about the prices you get. :)

Anyway, I love how you have Eliza dressed so adorable all the time - it's so cute. That is awesome that you get the kids excited about reading while you take a shower...it makes me feel a little guilty because I usually resort to a movie at times like that! You are such a dedicated mom!! Love you!

Brittany said...

I forgot to mention how much I loved the Hobo Look on Eliza!! How funny!! She reminds me SO much of you at her age. Not that I remember that much but I do remember some! And that last pic of her from the back (so cute with Ben's arm around her!) looks TOTALLY like you with her soft little curls. Only yours were more blonde. I hope my little girl has curls! :)

Our Family said...

those pics are so priceless! i especially love the last with ben's arm around his little sister! they are such cute little kids! love you all! katie and family

Anonymous said...

I LOVE each of those pictures. Ben looks so grown up in the first one with cute little Eliza sitting next to him. I LOVE her cute dress, you make the most amazing finds at the mom2mom sales. Eliza's dress up is hilarious, I can just imagine her getting so upset when you took the black hat and tried to sub in a "cute" hate. I LOVE their fort, what a fun "mess." The last picture is priceless. That is worth enlarging and framing....you can look at it in those moments that may be less "perfect." I am so glad you share sweet moments so I can "peck" into your days. Love Grandma Walker

Anonymous said...

P.S. I see I made lots of spelling errors.... I was going to say I stayed up to late but 9:45 pm is NOT late. So.... we will blame it on just being me :). Love you, Grandma Walker

Mindy said...

I LOVED that post. My favorite picture was of Eliza and her Hobo look! It reminded me a little of someone else I know... scavenging the dirty clothes hamper for dress up clothes. :) The last picture of Benny and Eliza watching Jesus was really sweet, too. And their fort made me think Jack is going to LOVE playing with them... just up his ally. He is really into putting all my shoes in the laundry basket or the garbages. Consequently, I have to be really careful when I do laundry and take out the trash! :) And that little Black dress is totally adorable on Eliza. I hope we do get to go to the Mom2Mom sale when I go out there. I love you!

Jan S said...

I loved all these pictures. The one of the kids watching the religious movie is so cute! Isn't it amazing to see how the Spirit softens even little hearts!
I just laughed and laughed at teh picture of Eliza with all those clothes on. It must be in the genes! When you were little, you would raid the dirty clothes hamper too. I remember one time you found a pair of underwear that you put on your head and walked outside just as Melanie (grade 6) was coming home from school with her friends. It didn't help that you were completely naked except for the pair of dirty underwear on you head. Melanie was more than horrified and I got an earful that day! :-) XOXO Mom