Saturday, October 13, 2007

My husband the chef

To my chagrin, I've discovered that Jed is a better cook than me. Let's get one thing straight - he doesn't cook. So you can imagine what a blow this is to me. He just has the THEORY of cooking - the innate sense. Two examples:

This morning I made aebleskivers. My in-laws have this fantastic tradition of making Danish aebleskivers for special breakfasts. This is a cast iron aebleskiver pan, and these are some aebleskivers that I made today:
Nate gave us a pan for Christmas last year, which I seasoned according to the manufacturer's instructions. But the first time I made them they all stuck to the pan and made an infuriating mess. I put it away for 9 months and then took it out last weekend and reseasoned it. I tried again this morning and this time I put about 1 1/2 tsp of oil in each hole. I know- that's a lot, but when I tried putting in less, they would stick in the holes and start to burn! After my third batch Jed said I should just spray the holes with Pam. I mocked at such a silly suggestion. If they are sticking with a pool of oil in them, they would absolutely make a burned mess if I tried to just spray the pan with a thin layer of Pam! Clearly he had no idea what he was talking about. But, he insisted that I try it, and I finally grudgingly gave it a shot. (Of course I first tried to make him promise that he would clean the pan!) It worked wonders. I couldn't believe that he was right! To top it off, he took charge of the next batch so I could eat some and he said he wasn't going to use any Pam at all. I was totally against it (thinking of the mess I had last time), but again it worked out perfectly. I shouldn't have been so shocked because this isn't the first time he's outwitted me in cooking....

Last weekend for General Conference I made my favorite Sour Cream Blueberry Pancakes. I had just put new pancakes on the griddle and Jed and Benny were sitting at the table waiting for their second helping. I was standing over the pancakes, waiting to see the tell-tale bubbles forming on top. Jed came over and said "Don't they need to be flipped?" He picked up the spatula and started to tease the edge of one. I said, "No, no! Don't touch it!" I am very protective of my pancakes. Guys just don't know what they are doing - watch and you'll notice they are always flattening pancakes by tapping or whacking them with the spatula while they finish cooking! Anyway, Jed managed to evade me from trying to get the spatula back, and he peeked under one of them and guess what! They were just about to start to burn! What in the world? I could blame it on the fact that I've never used an electric stove before and I'm trying to get used to it. Or I could say that these pancakes are very strange and just don't form bubbles on top. But I'm afraid I have to confess that the real reason is that my husband is a cooking genius and I have a lot to learn from him!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erin, you had me laughing out loud.... I'm glad the aebleskiver pan worked .... the reason the Pam worked is because you had that pan all primed :) Good team work :) Love Mom

Pattie said...

That is so funny.

Anonymous said...

Your cute, sis. Funny story.