After the range, they went on a bike ride and played at the park. After they got home, they played in the sandbox and with his bigwheel for a while. Then Jed set up two camp chairs on our back porch, and they enjoyed lounging together. Benjamin went and got his bigwheel and carried it up to the porch and positioned it just below his campchair. Then he sat in his campchair and rested his feet on his bigwheel. He sat there, resting his feet, and with his hand on his cup of water in the armrest, and then said to Jed, “Give me a snack, Daddy.” Hahaha! He’s never said that to either of us before, and Jed thought it was hilarious, like he was Benjamin’s butler or something.
The other day I said to Benjamin, “Would you like to color while I make dinner?” He answered, “No, YOU color, Mommy. And I will make dinner.” Then he continued, “I’ll make ham. A ham sandwich. Is that yummy Mommy?” (asking me if I would like that) Then he said, “Eggs and ham. Eggs with cheese on them. YUMMMMM! And YOU color, Mommy. I will make dinner.”
Last Sunday was a special day because our friend, Barbara, got baptized! After the service, we had her and some other friends over for dinner. After dinner we all took a big group picture, requested by the missionaries since one of them was about to get transferred.
At one point during dinner, Benny was standing in the kitchen with my friend's little girl. We heard him say to her, “The Holy Ghost speaks to our hearts.” Then he said, “The Holy Ghost makes us feel happy.” How cute is that?
Earlier that same evening, Benny was playing with the other little girl, Caitlyn, who is about 4. They were laying down on his bed next to each other and Caitlyn was ‘reading’ books to Benny. They had the blanket pulled up and everything. It was pretty cute. Later on, we were all standing in the hall outside his room and we heard him call, “I want my Mommy.” Then, “I want my Daddy. Daddy, hold me!” Jed went over and said, “Why do you want me to hold you?” Benjamin was lying on his bed under the blanket, and Caitlyn was standing next to bed. Benjamin said, “That girl put me to bed!” We couldn’t stop laughing! It's cute how little girls are so motherly. I’m sure Caitlyn finished the book, then stood up and tucked the blanket around Benjamin and said, “Okay, it’s time to go to sleep now. Remember, don’t get out of bed.” Just like she’s seen her mommy do it. That is so funny!
Last night I had a memorable Mommy moment. I got Benny out of his bath and layed him down to put his diaper on, but he pleaded that I cuddle him in the towel. So I picked him up again and sat down in the glider in Eliza’ room and cuddled and rocked him, like a little baby. (He LOVES being held in his towel – with his feet covered (that part is very important to him). It’s his favorite part of his bath.) Then he looked up and asked me, “Sing some songs.” So I sang ‘I am a Child of God’, ‘A Childs Prayer’, ‘Army of Helaman’…. And he started to sing along with me. I absolutely loved this moment of cuddling my little boy and bonding together. I was so thankful that I had resisted the urge to put his diaper and PJs on and pop him in bed without delay. It was already past his bedtime…. But instead, I forced myself to relax and indulge in keeping him up a little longer. It was totally worth it. As I looked down at him in my arms, now a little boy, I just felt so much love for him. He is such a sweetheart, with a tender and loving little spirit. Tender is a good word for him. He always says, “I love you, Mommy” throughout the day. And at other times when I say, “I love you, Benjamin” he will reply, “Oh, thank you, Mommy!” or “I love you too, Mommy.” And he will flash me the sweetest little smile. He is so pure and sweet.


10 comments:
Oh, that was the best post to read while my boys are napping! I loved every story! I was cracking up at Ben's request for his dad to get him a snack and then his offer to make dinner. Oh, and when he said, "that girl put me to bed"...I was laughing about that. Ben is SO tender and such a sweetheart. You and Jed are teaching him so well. I don't know that my kids would know that the Holy Ghost speaks to our hearts. That was neat that he knew that. Isn't it fun to have a child who can communicate? So fun!
Erin, thank you for sharing those sweet stories. I wish I could go back and cuddle my kids on my lap after bath, I am sure I didn't take the time to do that like I should. We love hearing the cute things the kids do and say. Love MOM
Those are the cutest stories, sis. What a cute little boy. I was a work waiting for a patient to get roomed and decided to check out your blog. I couldn't help chuckling at all those cute stories. I am sure patients and staff thought I was a little crazy since they couldn't see what I was looking at. :)
These are my favorite posts of yours...when you relate stories of Benny. I was laughing so hard thru the whole thing and then teary-eyed at the end. He is such a sweet little guy with the funniest personality. I LOVED the story about the little girl "putting him to bed" (I'm still laughing) and the "Give me a snack, Daddy"! I wish we lived closer so I could spend time with you all!
It warms my heart to know how much benny loves his towel....Thanks for sharing...
Erin, I have a big lump in my throat! Now, you know why I loved raising you, your sisters and Matt so much! That cute little guy is growing up so fast. . . and we are missing it. Hurry and get done with this part of your life and "come home"! Miss you guys. . but am so proud of what you're doing with my grand kids! Dad S
Dear Erin,
I loved reading about Ben. It reminded me of tender moments with you and your siblings when you were little. I am so glad you are taking time to have those moments and then record them so that you won't forget. We miss these little ones so much. I will be so glad when you come back home. Love, Mom
I loved this post!! Aren't kids the sweetest? Benny is so pure and sweet, you put that real well!
Those are the sweetest stories! I just love that little guy! Your are such a wonderful MOm! We really do need to cherish the time with our little ones--they grow up so fast! Love you! XOXO
HAHA!!! What a funny little girl! ;) Benny is SO super cute, sweet, pure, and such a character! We had a wonderful evening and I am sure Barbara did too. It was nice to travel up to the conference together as well. We are sure going to miss you!
Post a Comment