Friday, April 25, 2008

Pinecone Birdfeeders

Benny and I put up our big birdfeeder on Monday, and while we were playing in the sandbox, only about 10 minutes later, we saw the prettiest yellow goldfinch at our birdfeeder! It came back a few times that afternoon. And we have a little squirrel that likes it too. We watched it hanging upside down today off the birdfeeder, munching on seeds. That was pretty exciting. :)
I thought it would be fun to have more feeders, so I decided to host a little pinecone birdfeeder-making party. We invited some friends over and we all got messy with peanut butter and birdseed on our back porch. It was fun! :) Afterward the kids had a blast in the huge 'sandbox' in the backyard. I love that thing.

When I planned the little get-together, I told them that I was baking bread that morning and we would fix the kids PBJs for lunch. Well, my bread didn't seem to be rising all morning, but I finally put it in the oven anyway. Yeah, when it came out I realized there was definitely something wrong with it. It was like two big heavy hard lumps of rock. What in the world?! Oh, woops. I realized I FORGOT THE YEAST! Yeah, that's an important step, folks. I couldn't believe I did that. I was totally racing when I was making it... but still, I make bread all the time- I have the recipe memorized- and I have never done that before! Happened to be on a day that it really counted. So anyway, I scrounged around in the fridge and the kids ate yogurt and shared an apple. I don't think they'll want to come back for a lunch at Erin's house again. :) Luckily, Janese showed up with a delicious pan of bananabread bars with cream cheese frosting, so that was definitely heavensent. :)



8 comments:

Melanie said...

Cute activity with the bird feeders and VERY funny story about the bread. Whoops!!

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

It was SO FUN! The girls favorite food is yogurt...so lunch wasn't a let down at all! You are so funny! They have been talking about that day so much! The squirrels beat the birds, but it was still fun to watch! Thanks again!

TerriLyn said...

Cute activity Erin! Why didn't you just eat the bread anyway? lol! You are too funny.

Anonymous said...

Fun activity! You can feed the bread to the birds. It gives me hope that an amazing cook like you can leave out something. It seems lately I leave more out than remember to put in :). Mom (Michel)

Melanie Anne said...

What a fun activity to do! That is so funny about your bread! What a bummer to go to all the trouble! I need to get some bird feeders out too. We wake up to the sound of birds--lots and lots of them all around! It is pretty fun!

Rebecca said...

Good idea, Erin! I like how you throw parties all the time.
I'm sorry about the bread, but I know you're one of the best cooks out there!:)

Mindy said...

The birdfeeders look SO fun! What a great idea, sis! So... did you put up the window birdfeeder that I gave Benny? The birds love mine just like it. I have two window bird feeders, and I always think kids would think they were so fun. Love you!

Brittany said...

That sounds like so much fun - what a great idea! How did you come up with the peanut butter part??