skip to main |
skip to sidebar
since i made a post when i started this goal...
...I'll update you now that it's 97 days later. I finished the Book of Mormong Challenge, to read the Book of Mormon in 97 days in tribute to the life of President Gordon B. Hinckley. I never thought I would be able to do something like that, but incredibly, it wasn't really that difficult once I committed to reading out of my Book of Mormon every day. That was the first step - reading every day. The second step was to get out of the mindset of, "If I read two verses, that counts as reading my scriptures." I'm afraid I've fallen into that many a time. And the third step that helped me was to read my scriptures during the day instead of right before I go to bed. I tried to read them during Benjamin's nap, or while I was feeding Eliza. Or immediately after I put Benny to bed. (Oh yeah, and the fourth 'step' or change that helped me (a ton), was to read the scriptures on the computer at lds.org or to read them on a pocket pc. For some reason I was able to concentrate so much better than when I read them in a book. My mind wanders so easily when I'm reading them in book-form. Weird, I know.)
It was a neat experience to be so diligent about reading the scriptures. I liked how I got the 'big picture' of the Book of Mormon. At the end, in Moroni 10, Moroni says that when we finish reading the book that we should ponder about how merciful the Lord has been to the children of men from the beginning. Because I read through the book quickly this time, I feel like I'm better able to recognize the magnitude of His mercy to the Nephites, from the beginning of their civilization to the end. And how merciful He is to each of us by acting as our advocate, and giving us the opportunity, through His love and sacrifice, to be perfected in Him. It is amazing how much faith each of the prophets in the Book of Mormon had, and to hear their testimonies and teachings of Christ and the Plan of Salvation. This truly is a remarkable and true book of scripture. I'm thankful for it. And I'm thankful for the legacy President Hinckley left with us, a legacy of faith and righteousness.
5 comments:
That's wonderful Erin. You are such an inspiration to me. I have the best sisters in the world, thanks for being all that you are!
Wow Erin, I am so inspired by your dedication to your goal especially with 2 little children. You make you want to be better. Mom (Michel)
Erin - I am really proud of you and very impressed! I liked your four points of reading the scriptures - I need to be more dedicated and I'll have to adopt a few of those!
Congratulations on a noble goal well done! Thanks for reminding us how merciful the Lord is. You're inspiring.
YEA!!! I knew you would do it! You're awesome Erin!! Way to go! Thanks for your testimony.
Post a Comment