Thursday, July 17, 2008

Ben's Birthday and 4th of July in Maine (vacation part 4)

We celebrated Benjamin's 3-year birthday on the 4th of July. (His bday is actually the day after, but we were going to be traveling back to NJ that day.) We started off the doubly special day with a kayaking expedition! Ryan took the six of us kayaking, and it was SO FUN. It was the first time Benny and I had been kayaking.
He's ready to get started. He probably would have enjoyed a free ride to the shore, but he wasn't that lucky. :)



Jeremy and Jenna rode in one kayak, Benjamin and Ryan rode in one, and Jed and I shared the third. The guys at the kayaking shack gave Benny a mini paddle. It was a great toy...


And look, he's helping Ryan get a workout. Adding a bit of drag to his kayak...









We landed on a beach up an inlet and pulled our kayaks onto the sand so we could walk around. Ryan treated us to some famous Maine icecream served on the beach. We found a few horseshoe crabs in the shallow water. Jeremy's holding one. Cool, huh?





After awhile Benjamin discovered that the water was salty... So he would hang both his arms overboard and then suck on his hands (below). How funny!
On the way back, Ben joined us in our kayak. It was so fun having him join us on our adventure. Thanks for taking us, Dad!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO BENJAMIN!
His birthday cake consisted of a batch of cookies, so he got to blow out three candles stuck in some icecream. He got to have his special birthday cake at his birthday party once we got back in town, so he wasn't deprived. :)

Opening up presents from his Grandma & Grandpa and all his cute cousins.
















Eliza and her special buddy, Shane.





4th of JULY FIREWORKS!

We watched the fireworks from the steps of a courthouse. It was fun to be there with everyone. We had to bundle up - it was a little chilly.




4 comments:

Melanie said...

That's hilarious that Ben liked the salty taste of the water. To each his own! It was cute seeing him in the kayak with Grandpa. We hope he had a happy birthday - glad you were able to celebrate with family, which probably doesn't happen too often!!

Brittany said...

What fun! The more I hear of your trip to Maine, the more I want to go. Seriously, Eric and I want to travel there for a family vacation one year...maybe you can join us! That pic of Ben dragging his oar was so funny! I miss that little guy - and Eliza is just cute as a button - a chubby little button! haha :) Love you guys!

Mindy said...

I loved the pictures and story of Benjamin sucking the salt water from his fingers. I'll bet he LOVED that adventure. With all that fun, I don't think he would have been deprived if he hadn't had a birthday cake. I'm jealous of your east coast adventure, sis!

Melanie Anne said...

How FUN!!! The kayaking looks really cool! Maine is now on my list of places to visit! What a fun time and what a happy birthday for Benjamin! Love you!