I wanted to particulary say I LOVE YOU to my mom this Valentines Day. She is the greatest woman I know and I love her so much. She finally completed all of her radiation treatments, and I'm so proud of her for how strong she was through the entire ordeal. More than ever I recognize what an amazing person she is. I've learned so much from her, and now that I'm an adult I can truly appreciate everything she taught me....
She had a fun spin on 'work and then play'. She would encourage us to do our chores on Saturday morning instead of letting them drag on us all day. I remember many Saturdays of everyone busy cleaning and and helping, and there was a happy feeling of working together. It actually felt good. Only my mom could pull that off, I'm sure!
She's the queen of Lifelong Learning. Growing up she was always the top source of information on any subject. And if she didn't know how to help me on one particular alegebra or trig question, she would read the chapter intro and learn the information and then help me out with that particular problem. I remember one particular time being impatient that she had to read the chapter explanation - I just wanted her to help me figure out that problem right away! I was such a turkey for not recognizing what a sweet and smart mom I had!
She encouraged me to run for student government every year, and as a result she spent MANY a late evening creating posters and banners with me. (And she was the brain behind all of the ideas.) She did that with all of us - I remember many occasions of all the girls gathered around butcher paper and creating student government banners for one of the sisters. Fun memories. :)
My mom loves beautiful art, poetry, and literature. Each of my siblings and I love reading, and we all have a special place in our heart for 'Casey at the Bat', 'The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere', and 'Daffodils'... among many many others. I particularly remember the day that Jed and I graduated from BYU and my siblings and parents were over at our 1-bedroom apartment, all squished in our front room. Somehow the topic of poetry came up and we all started remembering and reciting favorite poems from growing up that Mom taught us. I have to say that is one of my favorite memories! It was really fun, and I felt so close to my family members! I think Mindy was the winner when it came to remembering the words to most of them. :)
My mom is my example as I raise my own little children. She is exceptionally patient and loving, and I think of her when I need inspiration to be patient!
I could go on and on, but lastly I will say that I know that she loves me too. I've always always known that, but she is constantly reminding me of it with the little things she will do for me. Even though I live far away from her she shows me how much she cares about me. Last fall I called her crying and extremely upset because I had just discovered that my treasured basil plants died from an early frost before I was able to use their leaves. I told her how disappointed I was, and then I proceeded to cry about how busy I felt as a mother and with my calling at church, etc etc... and it all came pouring out. And she was absolutely so understanding and genuinely concerned about me. It makes me get a lump in my throat just thinking about how kind she was to me, and how she comforted me. Looking back it seems silly that I was crying to her about my basil, but she didn't think so and she recognized that the basil was just the straw that broke the camel's back. :) That's just one example of many. -- many loving phone calls, I mean - I usually don't call my mom bawling. :) Anyway, she is a sweetheart and I love her dearly. Happy Valentines Mom!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


11 comments:
You definetly have the neatest mom ever. I also have so many memories of her kindness. I remember we were making cookies and she taught me how to wipe off the excess flour from the measuring cup with a knife. She is an amazing woman, and I see so much of her in all you girls.
Beautiful post. Great mothers must raise great mothers, because you're one of the best I know!
Erin, it pleases me so much when you (and your siblings) acknowledge and express your feelings of love and gratitude to your mother. I think I have told you before but one of the first wonderful attributes of your mom before I married her was feeling she would be a great mother. You ARE fortunate. . and thanks for saying so. Dad
Erin, it pleases me so much when you (and your siblings) acknowledge and express your feelings of love and gratitude to your mother. I think I have told you before but one of the first wonderful attributes of your mom before I married her was feeling she would be a great mother. You ARE fortunate. . and thanks for saying so. Dad
What a sweet post, Erin. I loved it. Your mother is amazing and you are so much like her in a lot of ways - and that is a great thing!
And just so you know, crying over basil plants is totally justified.
Oh Erin, I was crying by the end of that. We really do have the BEST mom. Sometimes I wonder why I was so blessed to have her and Dad! She truly did encourage us and teach us every day. i remember hearing "I love you" every single day growing up. I took so many things for granted...looking back I can see that. I LOVED reading all those memories you had of mom and us too. Like making the banners for Student Government. What about me practicing cheers and doing jumps for HOURS, I swear, with her helping me make it PERFECT! And all the papers that were proof-read...the list could go on. I sure love her too - thank you for that tribute for her, it reminding me yet again of how special she is!
What a neat idea, Erin. I just loved reading that post about Mom. She is such an amazing person. I had to write a little paper on "My Personal Glue" when I was a senior in Mrs C's class. Of course, I wrote about Mom. And I have always thought of her as such since. She really is the glue that held me together through it all... whether it was helping me do banners at 3am or comforting me after a break-up, Mom was always there growing up. And now she is just as supportive, fun and needed in our adult lives. We ARE lucky. Thanks for writing that, sis. I love you!
Wow--what a wonderful post! I feel the same way. We really are so blessed to have her as our Mother. what a sweet tribute! I loved it--and I love you! You are a great sister and daughter. XOXO Miss you!
What a great post and what an exceptional mother. You really take after all those good qualities you talked about. I'm so glad your mom is done with radiation! Hooray!
Thank you, Erin. I have been so busy with everything, that I haven't read the blogs lately. You words were just what I needed this morning. Speaking of poems, it reminded me of the one that says, “A friend is one to whom you can pour out the contents of your heart, chaff and grain alike. Knowing that the gentlest of hands will take and sift it, keep what is worth keeping and, with a breath of kindness, blow the rest away.”
You are a wonderful daughter. Thank you for seeing and remembering the best in me.
What a sweet tribute to your mom Erin. She is an amazing woman.
Post a Comment