

We went to Greenfield Village with our friends, Jen & Ben, last week. It was the first time Jed had been to Greenfield Village, and I was excited to show him around. It's such a fun place to spend the day. First we took the train ride around the village. Then we walked through some of the old restored factories and buildings used by Thomas Edison. (Greenfield Village is like a town of restored historical buildings, all collected and exhibited by Henry Ford.)
After that we stopped off at the Village Green, where they had a bunch of era appropriate activities. Jed was especially proficient at the stilts! They had this sticks and rings game where you use two sticks to throw a ring to the other person, who catches it with the sticks. Jed and I had a lot of fun playing catch. It was such a fun game, I didn't want to leave! Jed and I also raced each other with rolling hoops with sticks (that game popular in Nauvoo-times). That was fun too!
There is a section of the village dedicated to craftsmen, and last week I had stopped by the glass blower with the kids. (Me and a few friends of mine had gone to Greenfield Village together, without husbands.) They thought it was pretty neat. I think I was the one who was the most interested. I regretfully had to leave before the man was finished with his vase... :) It was pretty cool to watch!
We took a ride on the Carousel that day...
Benjamin loved it...
Eliza not so much...At least not when I let go of her so I could take her picture! I spent the rest of the time holding around her tightly and her clutching to me as she sat on the horse, and I had to bend my knees as we went up and down, up and down...
When we went with Jed a few days later, she wasn't so sure she wanted to do it again.But Jed is good at taking it slow, with 'baby steps'...
Started with holding her tight and letting her have a death-grip on him...
Next, he had her use both hands... (She is not too happy about this!)
Okay, she's getting a little more comfortable... as long as Daddy still holds on to her tight...
And by the end, viola! She is riding almost alone! That Daddy of hers is a miracle worker! :)
We ended the day with a ride on a real Model T car. We had a great time!


3 comments:
You have the cutest family!!!! I love Eliza's curls so much, she is so pretty!!
How FUN!!!!!!!! That looks like such a blast. I want to see it when I come visit! The pics are so cute - esp Eliza on the carousel. She is such alittle dumplin!
I loved the pictures. Eliza is such a cutie pie with that head of curls! Those pics of her and Jed on the Merry-Go-Round were so sweet. Ben is growing up. I bet he loved sitting up by the driver on your antique car ride. It sounds like a fun day.
Post a Comment