Saturday, March 19, 2011

an update on the kiddies

Ben
Ben is still enjoying his all-day Kindergarten.  He still voraciously reads books. He still loves playing games with us.  And he's still a tease.  :)
If Jed gets home before dinnertime, he and Ben will most likely play a game of Sorry. Ben loves that game. Every night Ben gets to stay up a little later than Sam and Eliza; it originally started out as being a time for him to read quietly, but Ben and I started playing card games together one-on-one during that time, and it is so fun! We play with a pack of dinosaur cards that my friend Janese gave us, and we play Crazy Eights, Go Fish, Solitaire, Gin Rummy, and Memory/Concentration. It's a lot of fun because he is very competent at playing, so we both have a great time. :)
I've noticed lately that he is pretty outgoing and not intimidated of striking up conversation with people. The other day when I was packing everyone up to leave the library and go home, Ben went to the front desk to wait for me as I strapped Sam into his carrier, and when I got there he was chatting with the librarian, and she was amused by how friendly he was. He's always been comfortable like that with people - makes immediate friends with new kids at the park, went to Nursery and now Primary willingly and alone, talks to all the kids sitting near him at school (sometimes too much :)), etc. He also loves hanging out with his bus-stop friends, and it's fun for me to watch him as he interacts with them.

They other day, he found my jar of CeraVe hand cream and a piece of orange ribbon, and he thought of a great idea. So he  wrapped the lotion up in tape with some paper, er, I mean in paper with some tape :), and tied a ribbon around it and gave it to me as a special present. It was SO cute!  :)  He felt so happy when he presented it to me, and we opened it together.  What a darling.
Eliza
Eliza still loves princesses and fairies, Rapunzel and Flynn Rider, and dress ups and jewelry. Every night she wants me to sing to her. I used to get to sing Primary songs, but all she wants lately are Rapunzel songs, but that's okay because they are fun to sing with her. She likes to pretend to be Rapunzel and I get to be the creepy Mother Gothel :)  and we sing our parts. So she says, "I think he likes me." and I say, "Likes you? Please, Rapunzel, .... don't be a dummy, come with Mummy. Mother-" and she says, "NO!" then I sing the Mother Knows Best reprise.  And sometimes (because Jed downloaded the song clips from the movie and we watch them sometimes for fun) she will even do some hand motion that Mother Gothel did in the song and instruct me, "do this." It is too funny!  And the other Mother Gothel song is the same way - she sings her little parts in the song - like I sing, "Cannibals and snakes! The plague!" and she says, "No!" and I say, "Yes! Also large bugs!"  :)

One day Eliza and I were doing her Tinkerbell puzzle and she left for a couple minutes and then came back like this. It was too funny when I looked up to see her climbing into her chair all decked out in her jewelry.  :)
 
Sam
Sam is our darling baby! He turned one year old last week but he's still army crawling around and I love that! I like to keep him my baby for a just a tiny bit longer.  Once he starts walking he will seem like such a big boy! He is a big eater - I feel like I spend his meal times racking my brain about what else to give him, and scrounging up more things for him to eat, because as soon as I give him a pile of one thing he gobbles it all up quick. He's so cute. :)

Sam is obsessed with balls. It is so funny!  So we brought out our collection, and now if you walk around the living room you will see big balls and small balls, pink balls and blue balls, racquetballs and basketballs, plastic balls, rubber balls and even wood balls. It doesn't matter to him, he loves them all!  He bangs them together, rolls them, throws them, and most of all, chases after them. And don't let me forget that he also gets them stuck places, and then he cries in frustration when he can't reach them. For instance, he is usually pretty dexterous about climbing up and over the horizontal bars between the chair legs (going around them would be way too simple!)  but every now and then the tangle of chair legs will be too much for him to conquer and he will start to cry when he can't reach his ball. And in this picture below, he got his racquetball stuck in this toy and was crying out in frustration about it-- until I got out the camera and then he smiled of course. :)
He is so funny! He loves that toy in the picture. He sets his wooden balls in it and then hammers at them haphazardly until, with some luck, they fall into the toy and roll out the bottom. He does it all while he's on his tummy, reaching up to it.  He also loves to roll a ball back and forth. He's really fun to play with.

8 comments:

Missy said...

Addie loves Rapunzel too! She tries to sing along and dances during the music. I have to say, it is one of the more palatable Disney movies to come out recently.

Your kids are so cute, great post.

Jan S said...

What a fun little report on each of the kids. They are so adorable! Ben is turning into such a friendly, interested little boy. I love hearing about how Eliza sings the Tangles songs with you (decked out in all her spangles!), and of course, that little Sammie is just a darling. I MISS THEM! Please come home soon!

Mindy said...

I read this post on my iphone while nursing, and I guess I never commented on it! I LOVE these kinds of posts. I just love hearing all the updates and fun things about my nephews and nieces. I can't believe how big your kids are getting. I swear it was just yesterday that I was holding baby Benny in my arms just before you moved away. I think it sounds so fun to have a child old enough to play games with. Ben has always been such a smart boy. And I loved the Cera Ve Story. Very sweet. I loved that story of Eliza hurrying to put on all her princess gear while doing the puzzle, too. And I wish I could see Sammy going after his balls in real life. We miss you guys!

Mindy said...

Oh, I forgot to say that the Rapunzel story made me laugh! What a sweetheart!

Brittany said...

Ok I have to comment on each kid separately or I'll forget stuff. :) I loved reading about how Ben is so outgoing! That is wonderful and I'm sure it's so fun to watch him make friends and play easily with others. That personality trait will be such a blessing in his life! He is so cute and sounds as smart as ever! I can't wait for Gabe to get old enough to play games with me! :)

Brittany said...

Aaaaaaah! Eliza is so precious!! Reading about how sweet and funny she is makes me miss you guys so much! Now that Nyah is getting older, I think of Eliza when I look at Nyah and vise versa. It's so fun to watch little girls grow up! I just LOVE the singing and the jewelry - she is all "girl" isn't she?! :) I have got to go see Rapunzal so I know what you all are talking about too!

Brittany said...

Oh Sam is so cute! He just always looks like a ray of sunshine in all the pictures! I wonder if he will always be like that - I bet he will! That smile of his makes me happy! I loved hearing about how much he loves balls - that is so cute! And that is too funny that he was mad then smiled when he saw the camera - hahahaha! :)

Melody said...

I love that you are playing card games with Ben. It is evident that you are your kids best friends. I love how you never talk down to them and how you are so respectful of them. Such a great mom! I wish I could hear you and Eliza singing back and forth. That sounds so cute.