September 4, 2012 - Ben's first day of 2nd Grade.
We snapped some pictures before he went to the bus stop. His teacher this year is Mrs. Jen Woehlke, and Ben was super excited to go to school. It's November now and he still enjoys it, so that's good. :)
After we waved goodbye to Ben's bus, Eliza and Sam played in the yard.
(Eliza made a cute paper bird with a paper, pen, leaves, tape and scissors.)
Later in September, Ben's teacher posted this picture with this caption on their classroom website:
"Ben is the first student in the WHOLE school who has earned enough Accelerated Reading
points to be added to the Race. There are other students in our class
that aren't far behind. Way to go Ben!!"
The last Accelerated Reading report that Ben brought home (dated 11/2) said that he has completed 183 AR points out of the 15 required for the first trimester. His sweet teacher wrote a note, "Way to go Reading Rockstar!" :) He likes reading big chapter books, so they end up counting for more points. (A regular children's book like the Bereinstein Bears is half of a point. A basic chapter book like Magic Treehouse is about 3 or 4 points. A more difficult chapter book, like the books in the 39 Clues series, is between 5 to 9 points, a book in the Warriors series is up to 12 points, and a Harry Potter book can be 14 points or more. He was loving the Warriors series over the summer and into September. Now he is into 39 Clues, and he is starting the Harry Potter series, but I said he could only read the first three of that series... I remember the last ones being kind of dark. He checked out #2 yesterday at school and finished it around dinnertime last night. He got to read it while we were at ballet for Eliza, so he finished it quicker than usual. Because normally I have him do other things after school besides reading.) Anyway, he loves to read, and the AR points are only a fun afterthought for him. They're definitely not his motivation, though.
Now he is in second place in the school AR race, behind Austin Mills the 5th grader. Yes, I know him by name because Ben told me a few times about how Austin Mills was the boy who beat him last year too, and how he wants to get ahead of Austin Mills... :) Ben asked me if we could go bowling if he won the race, and I told him that we would go bowling if he was in the top five in the race, so that he wouldn't concern himself too much with competing. :) He hasn't mentioned it for a long time, so I'm glad it's not that big of a deal. :)
Eliza had her first day of preschool on September 18th. Her preschool is at Ben's Elementary School, Monday through Thursday for three hours in the afternoon. She loves it! She has two teachers, Miss Bonnie and Miss Alex, who are the sweetest teachers ever. Eliza invited them to come to her Church Primary Program in October, and they both came! And Miss Bonnie brought her husband along, too. Wasn't that so sweet of them to come see her? (They also knew another family in the program, which helped make it more fun for them, I'm sure.) Anyway, she loves preschool.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
That was too cute! I love how Ben is such a big reader wow! It sounds like you have to curb it a little instead of having to encourage him to read!! I loved reading about Eliza in preschool too - I bet her teachers love her. She is such a darling with her sweet little voice and tender heart. :) That is awesome that her teachers came to the primary program! I should tell Gabe to invite people, his is coming up. It is so fun to see pictures of your cute family, Erin, and hear how you all are doing. I miss you!!
First, that picture of Ben with his backpack makes him look at least 9. He looks so old. Almost like a different kid than the one I saw at Christmas last year. He is growing fast! Dad told me very proudly about him reading so well. Dad stopped by and I talked him into going to the grocery store. we got an ice cream at the deli, and sat and talked. It was fun to hear all about this post from him. Ben is a super reader! I am going to tell Jack that, because the super readers are the heros in a tv show called Super Why that he loves. :) I think that is so sweet about Eliza and her teachers coming to her primary program. I didn't realize she was going to preschool 4 days a week. Jack would LOVE that, too. He goes two days, and looks forward to those days like crazy. Eliza looks big, too. We won't even get into Sam. I hope you move out west. I miss you!
I can't believe what a great reader Ben is--that is awesome!! How can I get my boys to do that? Darn it-I have to force reading at my house. And I have to say Eliza looks so darn cute in her pink leggings! Seriously what a doll!!
I loved hearing about Ben and his reading! Reading is such a pleasure to us - and our family are all big readers! Cute pictures, too. Eliza is such a cutey-pie.
Post a Comment