Monday, June 25, 2007

Hit or Miss at the Library

Last time we went to the library, I picked out some books for Benjamin. I got a book about MONSTER MACHINES. Boy, that was a huge hit! When we started looking at it at home, he was so excited about the big trucks and airplanes that he couldn't contain himself. He would point at the airplane and yell "aih plane!" and then cover his mouth and laugh, and then he would point to it and yell again. I can't describe the EXCITEMENT he felt - he was seriously flipping out over this book. He cried when he had to leave it and come to dinner - very traumatic.
I also got him some books about dinosaurs. As Jed and Benny were looking at one of them together, they came to a gruesome page...
Later on, when Benjamin and I were looking at it, he kept flipping to that page and pointing at the image and saying "uh-oh!" I kept trying to turn the page quickly, but after a moment he would turn back to it. Finally I put the book away. Well, yesterday he found it as I was in the other room, and soon I heard him repeating "uh-oh!" I knew exactly what he was looking at. This kid is drawn to this disturbing picture! Once he turns to that page, he'll stop turning pages and just look at it and say "uh-oh!" over and over. It's so fascinating to him. I think he is going to be warped from this book!
Isn't this a gross picture for a kid's book?!

4 comments:

Wilsons said...

Oh, poor kid. He was so concerned with the thing being eaten, he couldn't look at the rest of the book. I guess that is part of the circle of life, you just wish it wasn't so graphic or in little kid books!

hayley said...

erin, your little man has changed SO MUCH since i left kirksville last year:) he is a little man and SO ADORABLE:) i love your blogspot, it is so cute and creative!!

Anonymous said...

Yes, that is a little gruesome. I wonder if the author has any children??? :)

Anonymous said...

But I do love about the monster machines one. What a true boy. :) I have now stay up for over an hour looking at all these blog updates. You are amazing, sis.