Saturday, June 9, 2007

Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens

Today has been a GREAT day. It was jam-packed with interesting things and little accomplishments. Yes, I am a task-oriented person and every time I complete a task I feel a wave of satisfaction and accomplishment. If I have an especially productive day, I like to tell Jed every detail once he gets home. (Lucky guy.)
Today was one of those fulfilling days, and what is better, it was full of some of my favorite things.
After breakfast I vacuumed the house, super cleaned the bathroom and mopped the kitchen while Benny watched 30 minutes of Baby Einstein. We have two of their DVDs and I love them almost as much as Benjamin does. He gets to watch one every week while I clean. :) Nothing makes me feel more accomplished than just finishing cleaning my house. Afterwards we went downtown, where we strolled through the Farmer’s Market and visited Edna Campbells. That’s my favorite little shop in Kirksville – full of décor, jewelry, cookware, purses, ceramics…. it’s super classy and stylish and I love looking at all their fun displays. We came home and I let Benjamin walk around our yard while I inspected my growing garden and trimmed out the dead flowers from my coreopsis. My tomatoes are getting big, so I put cages around them and carefully lifted each limb over the first rung. I LOVE my garden – I check up on it all the time and glory in every new leaf and every inch of growth. Yes, I inspect it pretty much every day, and it’s NOT boring!
After lunch, Benjamin went down for a nap. (I confess, this is one of my favorite things. What will I do when he no longer takes naps?!) Once he was in bed, I prepared my Young Women’s lesson and read my scriptures. At this point of the day I usually start to get sleepy (um....due to the time of day, even when I'm not reading the scriptures……), and sometimes I buckle under the temptation to take a nice nap. But today I withstood the urge, and to wake myself up, I started to cook. I made a batch of whole wheat bread; 1/3 of it I made into a loaf and baked later in the afternoon, 1/3 I saved for a pizza crust for dinner, and the last 1/3 I put in the fridge so I could make cinnamon rolls tomorrow when my cousin is visiting. Then I defrosted a bunch of chicken and put it into two marinades, Lemon Grilled Chicken (for the pesto pizza I decided to make for dinner) and Chili’s Fajita Marinade for dinner tomorrow night. I then made some Coconut Syrup for Monday breakfast with our company. Most of you ought to know that I LOVE cooking.

When Benjamin woke up we read a few books together. It makes me especially happy that he loves reading his books. Hopefully we will be able to cultivate that through his growing years so he learns to love reading as much as I do. (Or maybe not QUITE as much – I can be pretty compulsive. It’s like an addiction; once I get going I can’t stop. That’s why I am currently ‘off’ of books. I’ve been sober since Feb 13, the longest dry spell of my life.)
Later on we went to HyVee to pick up some pectin and strawberries so I could make some homemade strawberry jam. I’ve been craving homemade jam lately, and I wanted to buy some at the Farmer’s Market this morning, but when I saw how expensive it was, I decided I’d just make it myself and save the $5. (Yeah, I know, I’m cheap.) I came home, made strawberry jam and then made a Pesto Chicken Pizza for dinner. Jed and I love Pesto Pizza. It’s one of our very favorite dinners. We also had a salad with a delicious Creamy Dill and Cucumber Dressing that’s from Edna Campbells. Everything good comes from Edna.
Before Benny went to bed, the three of us watched a Nature Video. What a treat! When Jed and I were living in SLC before Benjamin was born, we used to rent National Geographic videos at the library and watch them together in the evenings. Confessions of a true nerd.
We prolonged Benjamin’s bedtime and played Frisbee out in the yard together for awhile. Jed takes a break from studying for the boards and gives himself an hour or so of family time every evening around dinner. I love it!

7 comments:

jayne said...

Such a cute video! I love how you love being so productive. You did have a jam packed day (no pun intended) and I'm amazed at all you were able to accomplish! You truly inspire me Erin........

Anonymous said...

The jam looks yummy! You got SO much done in your day, you inspire me to do more :). (Mom) Michel

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of Benjamin and Jed, so sweet.

Anonymous said...

Wow - what a day! I can't wait until I have the energy to do so much...for now Gabe and I are just barely managing to get the both of us fed, washed and clothed every day! :) I wish we lived closer - I would love to do all those things together...

Anonymous said...

What fun Benjamin has because his parent go out and play with him. I wish Ryan would pull me on a bike :).

Melody said...

I love this little peak into your world. It's nice to see the play by play of someone else in exactly my same situation. You are a great example.

Anonymous said...

Wow Erin!!! You sure did do a lot that day. I wish my days could be as productive as yours. Glad to know that there is hope for me. Could I get your recipe for your Homemade Strawberry Jam? Joe would love it. Thanks.