Friday, November 2, 2007

Extreme Room Makeover

Yesterday and today have been dedicated to painting the nursery. It was my first room-painting experience, so I felt very intimidated by the project. My wonderful friend, Melody, was a LIFESAVER. She helped me think of the design & pick out the paint, cut & paint & install the chair rail, and did nearly all of the painting. It took us all day yesterday and today. Yeah, she is a total sweetheart to help me so much!

Here are the BEFORE pictures. Yes, this room was painted in a psychedelic design. It made you dizzy standing in it! In case you can't tell in the picture, the side walls are lime green. And you can see in the mirror that the back wall is the same square design as the front wall. Our landlord had this room painted to match his 12-year old daughter's bedspread. (The squares are actually layers and layers of paint on top each other, so I had to spend hours sanding the edges down so the squares wouldn't be as obvious underneath our new paint.) Everything was incorporated into the paint job: the back of the door, the door and window moulding were blue and purple respectively, all the switchplates and outlets were painted, the closet was completely lime green including the ceiling, even the fire detector, fan blades, and actual lightswitch had been painted bright colors. Unfortunately, the baseboards were also partially painted, so we had to do major touch-up on the white edging throughout the room.


















Middle of the project pictures.
Here's Melody beginning the pomegranate-pink wall. We had already done a first coat of cream on the side wall. And here's Benjamin, getting into my lipstick while I put another coat of edging on all the walls this morning. He was being SO good, playing with toys and entertaining himself. After some time I realized I hadn't heard from him for awhile, so I went to investigate..... :)
He was an angel this afternoon - we painted for about two hours without interruption while Melody's little boy took a nap and Benjamin played in his room. I couldn't believe how great he was being!


And the finished product. In addition to the new walls, we repainted all the white trim, and added the white 'chair rail' (I can't remember what official name Melody used for it since it's up high, but it sounded much more elegant). The room has a whole new feel to it now. It's calm & inviting, but still feminine & playful. I love it! And it's so pristine with the brand new paint. Perfect for a brand new baby! :)

I can't wait to get the baby furniture in it, but we still have to use it for Jed's study for the next two months. I guess there's no point in putting up a crib and moving the changing table and glider in there already. But I really want to!






Here's a photo of the little 'sewing table' I bought at a garage sale for $8. I'll keep it in the baby's room. And see the fabric samples on top the table? That is my final fabric choices for the nursery bedding. (They are different patterns than what I displayed in my older post below. When I have the crib skirt, bumper pad, window valance, and closet curtain finished, I'll post pictures. Then you can see the cute fabric that I finally settled on. :) )

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the newly painted room. Wow, what a lot of work but it is going to look so cute with your fabric you are using to make the baby bedding. I am cutting out the bumper pad fabric tomorrow and will get the other fabric sent to you. Love MOM (Michel)

Melanie said...

It looks great, Erin! I love the high "chair rail" and the colors are perfect. What a good friend Melody is to help you. It looks wonderful.

Tif Sweeney said...

This looks soooo good! I love the colors! I can't wait to see the final project! :)

Melody said...

It is fabulous! Why didn't I take a picture of you painting!!

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful, sis. All I can say is that your land lord is lucky to have a renter to make his mess of a room beautiful. It won't be overwhelming for his buyers if he decides to sell... and it will be so nice for your cute little girl. :)

Merianne said...

The room looks great! Good job. I love the colors you chose, I may have to steal them if I ever get around to painting a room in my house.

valerie said...

WOW!! What a change! You did a wonderful job!! I love the new colors!!

Anonymous said...

Wow--what a progect that looks like! It is going to be so cute. I can not wait to see the bedding. It is going to be a gorgeous nursery! Love, Melanie C.

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful, Erin! I just love the colors. i cannot believe the nightmarish wall decor before...yikes!!

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

WOW! You 2 really ARE superwoman 1 & 2. I knew that before you came, but now there is nothing that could convice me otherwise! Congrats to both of you on an amazing job! You should have your own TV show! And, you did that BOTH being pregnant! All I do is eat and sleep when I am pregnant. ;) You are seriously both incredible! It looks great!

hayley said...

Love it, love it, love it! It looks so good:) When I first went to the page, I thought you painted the psychedlic craziness, but then I realized what you had done. Can't wait to see the finished product! You are so creative:)

Ruth Harper Gough said...

I love it Erin. You girls have got great taste. Lucky for me I'll be able to draw from your wealth of ideas when we move so close next year. Luck, lucky me! The room is so beautiful. You are the perfect little homemaker. Oh-- and that color looks great on little Benjamin too! He and Noah will get along! ;)

Aubrey said...

You two are crafty women. I am so jealous. It looks wonderful. What a lucky little girl.