That's right - Eliza Carol arrived a week before her due date - and two weeks before I was expecting her. We are so happy that she's here early - the more time to enjoy her!She was born at 4:11 am on Friday morning, 7 lbs 7 oz, 18 3/4 inches long. Here's her birth story....
I went into 'prelabor' Thursday night around 9:00 pm. I was feeling extra tired, achy, and uncomfortable while I was making dinner and afterwards, and I was feeling lots of Braxton Hix contrations. I went to bed and soon I realized that these B. H. contractions were
getting regular... I was sure that I was in prelabor, so we took this picture of me showing what I looked like at 39 weeks. I have a photo like this of me when I was pregnant with Benjamin and it's always fun to look back on it and remember how big I was!
getting regular... I was sure that I was in prelabor, so we took this picture of me showing what I looked like at 39 weeks. I have a photo like this of me when I was pregnant with Benjamin and it's always fun to look back on it and remember how big I was! At 11pm I started to have painful contractions, and by 2am I woke Jed up to have him time them. Well, lo-and-behold, they were 50 seconds long and about 60 seconds apart! What??! I had been so busy concentrating and working through them that I didn't realize they were right on top of each other, and it was way past time to get to the hospital. (Normally second-time laboring women should get to the hospital when contractions are 60 seconds long and 4 minutes apart.) Thus began a crazy run-around of trying to get everything ready and the car loaded. Jed got Benny up and loaded in the car with his bag of clothes/diapers that I had already prepared. But my bag wasn't packed, and I was giving Jed instructions between HARD contractions on what to pack. Last of all, Jed helped me out of bed and into my clothes and coat. Between the time that I awoke him and the time we left I had gone from painful contractions to extra-hard contractions, and after we dropped off Benjamin I migrated to have having AGONIZING contractions. By the time we drove into the parking lot I was bearing down at the end of some of the contractions. We made our way to the front entrance and realized it was locked. Luckily a nurse saw us and after awhile got a side door opened for us. It was obvious that I was in labor because I was literally hanging on Jed for support, as I couldn't walk on my own. For me, the trip to the Labor & Delivery unit is a blur - my eyes were closed the whole time and I was just trying to hang on. They put me on a bed and when the nurse checked me she said "She's complete! She's complete! Where's her doctor?!"
I was telling them that I needed to push and they all exclaimed, "No - don't push!!!" After 5 or 10 minutes my doctor arrived and I started pushing. My doctor invited Jed to 'deliver' the baby, and so they helped him into a gown and he stood next to the doctor. I think this was the hardest part of the delivery - I kept asking them, "How many more pushes? I don't think I can push any longer!" After 30 minutes, Eliza's head was out, and then after one more push, her body followed, and I had this strange empty feeling inside, and a wonderful feeling of release. (Release might seem a strange word, but that defines it perfectly - I was pushing and pushing, and the pressure was mounting, and I was feeling more and more desperate to have it over with...) Jed caught her head in the way the doctor had instructed him, and then caught her body and handed her to the nurse. My doctor showed him how to cut the cord, and then she was whisked over to the pediatrician and nurses to help her start breathing.
Jed and I were both excited and relieved and happy! It was a wonderful feeling to have the delivery over with, and I was able to do a VBAC like I had hoped, as well as a natural delivery which we had been preparing for, but most exciting was our darling baby girl of course. We were so happy that she arrived safe and healthy, and she was beautiful!
I was telling them that I needed to push and they all exclaimed, "No - don't push!!!" After 5 or 10 minutes my doctor arrived and I started pushing. My doctor invited Jed to 'deliver' the baby, and so they helped him into a gown and he stood next to the doctor. I think this was the hardest part of the delivery - I kept asking them, "How many more pushes? I don't think I can push any longer!" After 30 minutes, Eliza's head was out, and then after one more push, her body followed, and I had this strange empty feeling inside, and a wonderful feeling of release. (Release might seem a strange word, but that defines it perfectly - I was pushing and pushing, and the pressure was mounting, and I was feeling more and more desperate to have it over with...) Jed caught her head in the way the doctor had instructed him, and then caught her body and handed her to the nurse. My doctor showed him how to cut the cord, and then she was whisked over to the pediatrician and nurses to help her start breathing.
Jed and I were both excited and relieved and happy! It was a wonderful feeling to have the delivery over with, and I was able to do a VBAC like I had hoped, as well as a natural delivery which we had been preparing for, but most exciting was our darling baby girl of course. We were so happy that she arrived safe and healthy, and she was beautiful! The nurses and doctor had to work on Eliza for about 45 minutes as she was having difficulty breathing; they called it Transient Tachypnea (TTN) and it's not uncommon in newborns. Then I got to hold her for about 60 seconds (pictured above left) before they took her to the Nursery and put her on an IV (they were being cautious and starting her on antibiotics since they didn't know exactly when my amniotic sac had broken, as I had been slowly leaking amniotic fluid for a week.) As it turned out, I wasn't able to hold her for many hours, and then it was only for 10 minutes with her IV still attached. 13 hours after delivery, she was cleared and we got to have her in our room with us, and I was able to nurse for the first time.
When Benjamin came to visit on Friday and Saturday, he was completely disinterested in Eliza. He just wanted to eat my graham crackers and pretend to talk to "Grandma" on the phone, or watch the ambulances out of the window. On Saturday Jed and I walked around the halls with Benny and Eliza, and both our little ones got a ride. :)


Here we are on Sunday before we got discharged:

So now we're home and enjoying our 2 1/2 days-old baby girl. She is such a sweetie, and loves to be held and cuddled. Luckily Jed's mom was able to change her plans to come and is arriving tonight to help me this week, as Jed goes back to work. My mom isn't coming until the 19th, right about when I predicted I was going to be having this baby!
Her middle name, Carol, is after my mother, Janice Carol. I love that - she is named after an incredible woman that means the world to me. "Carol" is especially perfect as she was born only a week and a half after Christmas. She is our little caroling angel, arriving just after the holidays.
We are so thankful for Eliza! We feel very blessed to have this darling little baby in our family. Yay!


31 comments:
yEA..CONGRATS..You look great..What a beautiful family you have...
Congratulations Erin and Family!! I'm so glad everything when well with the delivery. You are a great mother and have a wonderful family. Eliza is adorable!!!
Congratulations Sweetie! What a totally different experience from Benny, huh? I was super shocked to see this as well, so I can just guess how surprised you were that it was time. She already has yummy cheeks, I love it. Honestly, she looks beautiful--and not all brand new babies do. And I wouldn't say it if I didn't think it :) Congratulations, I am so relieved it all went well. You trooper! VBAC and natural--wonderwoman!! Love you, enjoy that baby.
Congratulations. She is sooo beautiful. How fun that she is here!! Glad that she and Mom are both doing well. Enjoy!!
Yea! Love the pictures and details. I'm so impressed you went natural AND you only gained 16 pounds your whole pregnancy. I'm not sure we can be friends anymore! :) I'm so glad Eliza is doing well. Have fun with mom!
I lOVE your pregnancy pic, you look like a non-pregnant person with a basket ball stuffed under your shirt!
Your story made me tear up, how beautiful. I am so glad you got your VBAC. She is amazingly beautiful!!!
Congrats Walker family!! She is beautiful and you look great! If you need anything please give us a call we would love to help out in anyway.
CONGRATULATIONS!! Eliza is beautiful and I am so happy for your cute little family!! I can't wait to meet the cutie!! :)
I can't believe that pic of you in your tank top. It's like a torpedo coming out of your tummy. It's amazing skin can stretch like that. Your story is beautifully written. I'm so happy for you and proud of you that you got to have your birth plan just as you desired. Congratulations!!
Erin,
I am so incredibly happy for you! I agree with Melody, your belly looked like a torpedo popping out! Your face hadn't changed a bit... mine looks like I stuffed 6 jumbo sized marshmellows in my cheeks when I am 39 weeks. I am so happy you had a VBAC too. After all our talk , I am so happy that it worked out for you! And to have Jed deliver her! That is awesome! Sounds like it was an amazing experience from all angles, except maybe walking into the hospital when you are fully dialated! She is beautiful!
What a sweet little baby!!! I love her name too. I had to laugh at your pregnancy picture, it DOES look like you have a basketball under your shirt :) You look like a pregnant stick person! Congratulations on your new addition.
Are those JEANS you are leaving the hospital in??!! I would say I hate you, but it isn't true. I'm just extremely jealous! You are too cute. So is Eliza. What a fun surprise. You are such a trooper to labor at home....way braver than me! Congrats on such a beautiful bundle.
Congratulations Walkers! I am so thankful that all went so well and that you were able to have the birthing experience you wanted! Wish I was there to meet her in person.
Allison
She is beautiful! And everyone at work thought so, too. I love you, sis! Can't wait to see my sweet little niece.
Wow! What a beautiful(and painful) story!!!! You are an amazing lady to do what you did to get that sweetie into this world without any drugs going to your or her!!! Congratulations!!!!! You have a beautiful family!!
Erin! I am so happy for you and I am so happy to have a new baby cousin :) You have been in our prayers and thoughts. We have to get our bums over to Michigan so we can see you guys! We love you guys
What a beautiful baby and Mommy!! I can not believe my baby sister is the mother of 2!! Congratulations Erie--I am so thankful that everything went so well. What a blessing little Eliza is! I just LOVE her name. It is very special that the first granddaughter is named after Mom. I sure love you and can't wait to meet my new little neice!! XOXO Melanie
Erin,
What an awesome story! I love all the pics, especially of you in the tank top. I always wished I looked that cute pregnant! Ha! I also loved the one of Benjaman getting a ride under Eliza. That was so precious! Congratulations and have fun with Michel. She is such an amazing help! Love you guys! Tell Jed and all hello! Love, Katie
Congratulations Erin!! I am so proud of you for going all natural. It really is an incrediable experience. I am so happy that everything went good for you and now you all have a beautiful little girl!! Wahoo!!
Congratulations! She is so beautiful. What an amazing story, you did AWESOME! That is so fun that she came early, probably more so after you got to the hospital. I am glad you were able to have a VBAC, that's a huge step! Also, you look AMAZING full term. That picture is UNREAL! I can hardly believe it, it looks so fake. You are so tiny and then boom, a giant basketball. I carry completely opposite. You can practically see the baby poking out my back! Anyways, congrats and I hope you have a great recovery:)
Congratulations you guys! She is a beautiful baby. I can't believe you skinny you were when you were pregnant. Yes, you had a belly but everything else was tiny! Lucky you!!!
Your birth story made me cry -I am so happy for you guys! Eliza is absolutely adorable!! I can't wait to cuddle her in just a short time. It was incredibly sweet to name her after mom...what a beautiful name. I love you guys! give both your little ones lots of kisses for us!
Your birth story made me cry -I am so happy for you guys! Eliza is absolutely adorable!! I can't wait to cuddle her in just a short time. It was incredibly sweet to name her after mom...what a beautiful name. I love you guys! give both your little ones lots of kisses for us!
Congratulations to all of you! Eliza is just beautiful! I love the picture of her and Benjamin riding down the hall!
Erin, I'm so excited for you!! Your baby is beautiful. So is your birthing story, and all of your posts I've enjoyed. I love your Christmas traditions, they are fun.
Congratulations from the Lofleys!!
Oh Erin! Congratulations! I am so happy everything went so well and just how you wanted it! You look AMAZING. Just beautiful! And Eliza is just beautiful, too. Now maybe I'll finally get that box I have for you mailed off! Love you!!
You are my hero Erin. Again and again your prove it. What a great birth story!!! What a beautiful baby girl too!
CONGRATULATIONS!!! She is beautiful!! What a cute family you have! Your story is amazing and I am glad everything went as you hoped (VBAC/natural). That 39 week picture is amazing too - the tiniest person with an added watermelon tummy! You look great! Congrats!!! Girls are so fun!
Congratulations Erie and Jed!!! She is just beautiful, and I am so proud of you Erin. I can hardly wait to come and hold that beautiful little Eliza. I'm the luckiest mom (and grandma) in the world! See you in 9 days.
What an amazing birth experience, Erin! Way to go!!! Levon and I read your story together and it got us totally excited, as I'm due in 3 weeks. It hit me hard I need to start packing and remembering the whole contraction timing thing or I might not make it to the del. room! :)
Everyone at work thinks you look fake in the pregnant picture. I can see why people thought you looked like you were stealing a basketball - nothing besides your tummy looks pregnant at all. Just sticks shooting out for arms and legs. :) Love you!
Post a Comment