Thursday, March 20, 2008

Easter Egg Dying Party


We hosted a big Easter Egg Dying party yesterday morning. We had 5 adults and 8 kids (not including the 3 babies) all around our kitchen table going-at-it. What a blast! We had 12 colors ready to use, and 4 of them were in tall goblets because I ran out of glasses. They looked like mouth-watering goblets of punch, and we had to warn the kids that they wouldn't taste so good if they took a swig. In fact, I watched Benjamin take a wire egg dipper out of one of the colors and then lick it; his little mouth puckered up and his eyes widened with surprise. Vinegar! Yuck! :)

The kids had so much fun experimenting with the colors. They had no qualms about putting an egg in the purple for awhile, and then the green, and then the orange.... Yikes! (At least I noticed Benjamin doing that; I'm sure the other kids did too!) There was also one point when Benny was trying to fit three eggs in one glass. Anona helped him select a different color. :) haha! I was busy at the moment using a hot glue gun to apply a swirly design on one of the white eggs. That's my favorite trick with Easter egg dying. I made a few for some of the kids. We also had stickers and crayons and Melody was using her cloth&rubberband technique to make a mottled look on some of her eggs. We had one crazy fun-packed hour of Easter Egg dying, and once the eggs were all used up I brought out some apples and grapes for us to snack on, the kids left to play in Benjamin's room with his toys, and the moms tidied up and separated the eggs.
What fun - I loved it! But all-in-all I wasn't able to satisfy my creative Easter egg dying needs, since we were helping the kids. So I bought another egg dying kit for 72¢ today and I'm going to make Jed dye eggs with us tomorrow. :) Then we'll have enough to make a good Easter egg hunt in the house for Benjamin on Saturday morning. :)



And here's a picture of our green pancake breakfast on Saint Patricks Day. We invited Melody & Eirik over to enjoy it with us since both our husbands had already gone to work. The boys enjoyed them even though they looked like malformed and discolored blobs. I was going for a shamrock shape, but pouring batter out of a measuring cup doesn't exactly spell 'precision'. :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Honey! I love your blog. Thanks for posting all the pics . . . it's fun to see what your family is up to. The egg dying party looked fun. You seem to have a lot of really cute friends. XO Mom

Melanie said...

Erin - I can actually see the semblance of a shamrock shape, so way to go! You are such a fun mom. You inspire me to be better at having fun with my kids!

Melanie Anne said...

That party sounds so fun! And ambitious of you!! I seriously have a hard enough time keeping the dye in the cups (and not all over the kitchen!) with my own boys! I am not sure I could handle an egg decorating party! You don't even have newspaper down--I put it all over my table. I think my boys must be wild egg dyers!! Love you!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Danette said...

You girls look like you are having a ton of fun. some of those eggs look very creative, far better than any egg I ever dyed!

Mindy said...

Griff and I dyed easter eggs and I am embarrassed to say that I knocked the green over... all over the table and the floor. How did you manage no spills with all those people? Amazing. of course, I also spilled my water cup at lunch that day. Pathetic. :)

The green shamrocks were cute, too. You are definitely a fun mommy.