

Today we planted some basil seeds in his planter. He has been checking up on his dirt in his planter multiple times this afternoon. He'll crouch down and examine it, and then exclaim, "A seed grow, Mom! A seed grow!" I feel bad saying, "Not yet... not for a while..." Today while we were eating lunch, he climbed out of his chair once, with a piece of pear in each hand, and said to me, "These grow." He was headed to his planter, and I immediately knew he wanted to plant his bites of pear in the dirt. "Uhhhh, I don't think so..."This week we've had some funny happenings. As they happen, I try to type up a quick paragraph about them before I forget the details. Here are my weeks memos:
Jed’s mom sent Benjamin a paint coloring book. He was really excited to start painting in it. I showed him how it was done, and then he took over and kept saying, “I do it myself.” It was all I could do to let him paint on his own. Not because of the mess… I found myself cringing that he was painting in the same spot on the picture over and over until it was a bit soggy, so I covered that place of the picture up with my hand and said, “okay, paint somewhere else.” Then I just had to intervene when he was only using the colors black and brown… After a minute he started putting the paintbrush in the paint and then back in the water instead of on the picture. I was like, “No, no! On the picture!”
Yikes!!! I’m realizing that I am a total control freak when it comes to this – I can’t bear to watch him mixing the colors and put the loaded paint brush in the clean water! I had to finally look away for a while so he could enjoy painting without me saying, “No! No!” every minute. Of course when I checked up on him his water was black from paint, but at least he didn’t have me harping on him the whole time. Anyway, after all that, he carefully poured some water on the table and his painting got soaked. This is real therapy for me… :)
He’s been saying some funny things lately. He will randomly start telling me or Jed about some make-believe friends of his. “My friend’s name is Truckanon, and he’s only TWO! And my other friend’s name is Fernanon, and he’s only ONE!” I have no idea how he made up those names, or why he is so interested in their age, but he calls them the same name every time, and they are always either 1, 2, or 3 years old. :)
The other day Jed started singing the song, “Peanut, Peanut Butter, and JELLY!” and then he started to say funny things instead of Jelly, that would be gross with Peanut Butter, like, “Peanut, Peanut Butter, and GRAPES!” Then he would say “Eww! Peanut Butter and Grapes! That’s gross!” Benjamin absolutely DIES with laughter in this game. Benjamin has brought this game to a whole new level. He sings it to me during the day and comes up with the most random things – well, I guess they aren’t completely random, since he says whatever he sees around him… It goes like this, “Peanut, Peanut, and….. TREES! Ew! That’s GROSS!” then, “Peanut, Peanut, and… LIGHTBULBS! Hahaha! That’s Gross!” Those are his favorites, along with FANS, MOMMY, BABY ELIZA…. Here’s the best yet: “Peanut, Peanut, and LOOK UP!!” and he will look up at the ceiling, and then he rolls with laughter – he thinks he is HILARIOUS. :)
My favorite is when we ask him a question such as, “What are you doing, Benjamin?” or “Who are you calling on your phone?” and he answers, “Nuffing.” I love it!
Yikes!!! I’m realizing that I am a total control freak when it comes to this – I can’t bear to watch him mixing the colors and put the loaded paint brush in the clean water! I had to finally look away for a while so he could enjoy painting without me saying, “No! No!” every minute. Of course when I checked up on him his water was black from paint, but at least he didn’t have me harping on him the whole time. Anyway, after all that, he carefully poured some water on the table and his painting got soaked. This is real therapy for me… :)
He’s been saying some funny things lately. He will randomly start telling me or Jed about some make-believe friends of his. “My friend’s name is Truckanon, and he’s only TWO! And my other friend’s name is Fernanon, and he’s only ONE!” I have no idea how he made up those names, or why he is so interested in their age, but he calls them the same name every time, and they are always either 1, 2, or 3 years old. :)
The other day Jed started singing the song, “Peanut, Peanut Butter, and JELLY!” and then he started to say funny things instead of Jelly, that would be gross with Peanut Butter, like, “Peanut, Peanut Butter, and GRAPES!” Then he would say “Eww! Peanut Butter and Grapes! That’s gross!” Benjamin absolutely DIES with laughter in this game. Benjamin has brought this game to a whole new level. He sings it to me during the day and comes up with the most random things – well, I guess they aren’t completely random, since he says whatever he sees around him… It goes like this, “Peanut, Peanut, and….. TREES! Ew! That’s GROSS!” then, “Peanut, Peanut, and… LIGHTBULBS! Hahaha! That’s Gross!” Those are his favorites, along with FANS, MOMMY, BABY ELIZA…. Here’s the best yet: “Peanut, Peanut, and LOOK UP!!” and he will look up at the ceiling, and then he rolls with laughter – he thinks he is HILARIOUS. :)
My favorite is when we ask him a question such as, “What are you doing, Benjamin?” or “Who are you calling on your phone?” and he answers, “Nuffing.” I love it!




13 comments:
Benny has such a cute personality -I just love hearing about him!That is so fun that he got Daddy time hammering together wood - cool!!I had Gabe on my lap, showing him the pics of Ben and reading the entry to him...he was laughing the whole time! I don't know if it was because I was laughing or what but we sure enjoyed it together! :)
Oh, you captured his personality in all those pictures, his thinking hard at building and planting. I LOVED reading how he comes up with "gross" things to go with peanut butter. I used to be just like you when my kids painted or did little projects.... I probably was not as good at walking away and letting them experience it on their own. Way to go! Love Mom (Michel)
That was a fun post! I loved the funny things Ben is saying ("nuffing"!) - and that was cute to see him working away on his wood project. Hopefully the seeds sprout soon so he won't be disappointed!
I've said it once and I'll say it again...You are an AMAZING mom!
So cute!!! What a fun little project, he did a great job.
I totally hear you about the soggy paint paper. It is hard to let them just go at it sometimes.
LOVE LOVE the peanut buter and look up, and lightbulbs!! So funny!
Caitlyn likes to play a game where she thinks of some crazy sandwich (usually with bugs and bees on the street), and then says "I one it", then the other person says "I two it"...all the way until "I 'eight' (ate) it"...AH GROSS! ha ha, kids and the things that tickle their funny bone! Thanks for sharing!
Erin.
Be thankful when you turned back around he wasn't drinking the water.
Soon you will be pulling out the paint set and you won't even care if he is doing it "right" you'll just be happy he is keeping busy in one spot.
Erie, that was the cutes picture of him concentrating so hard on his project. What a fun post! I can't wait to see Benny myself this summer. He sounds like a corker... I will never be able to sing "peanut, peanut butter... jelly" without a chuckle. Well, like Mel, I hope those seeds sprout soon for that darling little boy. Love you.
Hi Jed, Erin, Ben, and Eliza, this is Connor. Looks like Bejiman had fun building and planting.
I didn't know Home Depot did that! Pretty cool! Benjamin is at such a fun age right now. I bet it is so fun to interact with him now! I love how you write when you are describing him, it's so easy to imagine.
Erin, I enjoyed reading your post. Ben looks so cute building the planter box with Jed. I love the picture of him with his orange home depot apron using the hammer. Too Cute!!!
I have the hardest time letting my kids paint. It's so hard for me to watch them make a mess and not say anything!
What a good Dad you are Jed! You are so busy and still take the day to spend at Home Depot with Ben making that project. I loved those pictures!
I know what you mean Erin; that is one of big challenges I had as a mother: letting my kids mess things up! ha-ha! Ben is so smart and cute. Thanks for sharing. XOXO Mom
This is so cute, Benjamin is such a character. I totally know what you mean about being patient. It's in moments like that, that I realize that I could use to learn to relax a little bit:) I'm glad you shared such special "Mom" moments with the rest of us!
Post a Comment