Friday, May 16, 2008

I'm addicted to BOOK SALES!

There's something so exciting about sifting through hundreds of books... looking, searching, hoping.... to find that author, that title, that you recognize and love. And there's something so thrilling about coming across that treasure, and snatching it up with exultation!
It makes you want to yell, "YESSSSS!!! Look what I discovered! Yipppeee!"

Yeah, well, I confess that I'm actually not exagerating. I LOVE LIBRARY USED BOOK SALES! They are exciting, thrilling, and fabulous! Every time I go to one, I can't wait to call my sisters or mom and tell them what I've found. Many of the books I love are older, out of print novels, so these book sales really are like searching for treasures. And you can't go wrong with $1 a book! Just look at all the exciting finds I've triumphantly carried home from book sales in the past year.... Of course, this is just a sampling. And they are all hardback, too... :)I've found pristine copies of Eragon, 1776, Daughter of the Forest, Bourne Ultimatum... And I've found copies of older and more difficult to come-by novels like Trade Wind, Tregarons Daughter, and Mistress of Mellyn. Oh, boy, this is so much fun!
This morning I went to the largest library book sale I've ever been to. I've been looking forward to it all week, ever since I found out about it last Saturday. It was 40 minutes away from where I live, and worth every minute of the drive. I even made arrangements to drop off Benjamin at my friends house so I could search through tables and stacks of books without distraction. Yes, I was in heaven. For almost three hours. And I could have stayed longer.
This is one of my favorite hobbies. I love collecting my favorite books. I have them all in a nice bookcase in my front room, where I can enjoy seeing my collection grow. Of course it's fun to own your personal favorites, but it's the process of finding them that makes this such a fun hobby. I just love it. :)

5 comments:

Tif Sweeney said...

I hear you!!! I love library used book sales!! I have been hitting them lately as well. In fact, I just went to one on Thursday morning and ALL the books were a quarter!!! You can't beat those prices!! I love the treasures that you can find there!! I've also discovered that you can find some great finds at garage sales too! Though I will admit . . . my husband is not going to be too happy with me when it comes to moving time again. He was already complaining about all my boxes of books this last time!! :)

Anonymous said...

Erin, you certainly are our daughter! Remember all the reading we used to do? Like on our campouts we would after cleaning up dinner, write in our journals @ the picnic table, say family prayer, then pile into that o'l canvas cabin-tent? We had wall to wall pads and sleeping bags; and we would read by that o'l Coleman lantern til we fell asleep? Ha ha Your mom and I would eventually collect all the tipped-over books, tuck you in turn off the light. . . what a blast!! You still love reading!!!! Dad S

Brittany said...

I agree with Dad - our parents sure fostered our love for books and reading. I wish I could join you on your treasure hunts! :) That sounds SO fun. i'm jealous with all the great books you have found - keep your eye out for me now!

Anonymous said...

This love of hunting for great books has to be an inherited trait! Every time I pass D.I. I feel such a draw to sneak in and see what is on the shelves. Darn it, I wish I lived closer by so we could go together!
Love,
Mom S.

Missy said...

I LOVE book sales. But I decided not to buy anymore until Ben and I are more settled because they are so awful to move. So now I just sit and dream of all the books I want someday!
I see Eragon was on your list--did you like that one? I read it because all my students were and was surprised how much I liked it.
Great blog! Your kids are so cute!