Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Greenfield Village

There is a family attraction here called Greenfield Village, which is a pretend village modeled after the early 1900's. Three friends and I took our kids to this village last Thursday for the afternoon. There are a lot of interesting buildings and homes of interest, like Henry Ford's birth home, the house belonging to the Wright brothers, etc. But we didn't go into any of those with the kids. We went on the carousel a few times, ate a picnic lunch, checked out the glass blower shop, took an 'omnibus' ride which is a type of wagon pulled by two big horses, and enjoyed a long ride on a train (pictured above). Last of all we went to visit the farm, and that was the best part! Unfortunately my camera ran out of batteries, which was lame because Benjamin had so much fun with the sheep! There was one really big ram that walked right up to us in his stall, jumped up with his front legs onto the fence and swung his head over to see us. Benjamin would shoot his hand out to pet him quickly, and every time the ram felt him he would move his head to see who it was. It's hard to explain, but this ram was so responsive. It was pretty cool. I mean, normally animals don't flinch when you touch them, but this big old grandfather ram was attuned to every touch and seemed to be really interested in the kids. Anyway, we also saw lots of chickens, cats, and a rooster in the barn. We had to keep the kids from chasing the chickens, which is always so tempting!
I went up to the boys while they were gathered around this grate and asked them what they were looking at. They told me there was a crocodile down there and they were watching it. Benjamin is telling me about the crocodile in this picture.





.












These horses that pulled the omnibus were huge! They let the kids pet them as they drank out of their trough.

6 comments:

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

LOVE IT! That picture of all 3 of you is too cute, and that pic of Eliza is DARLING!!! Glad you had fun! Lauren is still talking about "Benja-bim" =)

Katherine said...

What a cool place!! Benjamin is growing up so fast!!

Melanie Anne said...

that place looks so cool! I love the picture of the 3 of you! YOu look so cute--what a sweet mom you are!

rebecca said...

Your kids are just soooo cute!!! I love the last picture of Benjamin looking at the horses. It's like he is really excited to tell them something :)

Brittany said...

How FUN! I wish I could have joined you - it sounds like a blast!

Mindy said...

What a fun afternoon. I love how imaginative kids are. Their little imaginations are so active that the line between reality and make believe is quite blurred, I think. I love the picture of Eliza smiling for the camera, too. Super cute!