Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Toledo Zoo with Mindy

We went to the Toledo Zoo with Mindy when she came to visit last week. This zoo is AWESOME. It seemed like all the animals were super interactive and energetic. The living spaces for the animals were neat, and seemed stimulating for them. There were lots of signs about how the zoo aids in the animals' development. They move animals around to different areas, have 'enrichment time' with them, provide different toys, etc. I was very impressed.








The polar bears exhibit was the highlight of the day. There were three cubs that were SO energetic. One would dive into the water after a toy ring, and then another one would dive in right on top of the first cub. They would wrestle and swim around, get out, dive back in, and the whole time we were watching from a huge window underneath the water. It was so cool! Benjamin absolutely loved it, and we were all laughing out loud too. It was awesome.

(Look at the picture above - Benjamin isn't too sure about being fed to the scary bear! The other picture above is us in front of the meerkat standing sentinal.)














The hippos were my second favorite. Again, we got to watch them from a huge window under the water. This enormous hippo was swimming under the water, and then suddenly turned and came right to us. It was such a fun surprise - it came right up to Benjamin!
These exhibits were very well done. I just loved this zoo. There were many times when Benjamin was so excited he couldn't contain himself. In the picture below, Mindy is holding him as they watched the monkeys. Benny was laughing so hard at the monkeys and squealing with delight. It was so fun to be there with him.



The aquariums were wonderful too. They had some really neat fish and sea animals on display. Below are some pictures of Jed and Benjamin at the shark tank. Benny loved the sharks! Look - he's covering his mouth and laughing - he does that when he is super-duper excited. :) Isn't Jed a great Dad - his face is right up to the pane next to Benjamin's, and he's getting really into it too, which makes it even more fun for Benny.



10 comments:

Mindy said...

This zoo was awesome! I am excited to post about it, too. Thanks so much for making my trip out to visit you so fun, sis. I already miss holding Eliza and playing with Benny so much! Ok, I kind of miss you and Jed a lot, too. :) I love you!

Brittany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brittany said...

Oh my gosh, those pictures were SOOOO cute! I can just feel Ben's excitement through them! :) What a cutie. Next time I come visit I want to go to the zoo for sure...that looks awesome!

Jarred and Angelina said...

You have the cutest family and you are always doing fun things, it is so fun to see Mindy pregnant.

Melanie Anne said...

That zoo looks so cool! Yo got some great pictures! You look so cute erin! We miss you guys!

Marnie said...

Looks like you and Mindy had a great visit. Aren't sisters the best. Your kids are absolutely darling...looks like a fun day at the zoo.

Anonymous said...

I have loved seeing the pictures and reading about your visit with Mindy. You always do the funnest things and the kids are SO cute. I really miss those cuties. Love Grandma Walker

Christie said...

Hey Erin! It's been so fun to look at your blog and see your cute family.

The Johnson's said...

Sterzer, I found your blog!! I stay at home all day and this is basically what I do. Look at your amazing little family... so cute. I had one of the girls in the ward come over the other day and she was flipping through my softball scrapbook, I told her about the girl who could do the raptor and how funny it was... Good times!

Burtons said...

Hi Erin,

This is Lindsay (Brooks) Burton. My sister in law found your Sister's Cafe blog off my blog. She is in love with your blog and recipes. Just thought I would tell you I hope you didn't mind that she found you.

Your family is growing so fast. I have loved reading your blog. Tahnee showed it to me a while back and I look forward to your posts. I started a blog but am not as diligent as you to keep up on it. The address to my blog is lindsayandcraigburton.blogspot.com. It is private though, so if you want to view it please send me your e-mail address.

Hope all is well.

Lindsay Burton
lindsayandcraig@gmail.com