Monday, March 15, 2010

Samuel has arrived!

Our baby has arrived!
Samuel Jedediah Walker
was born on Wednesday, March 10 at 11:40pm. He was 8 lb 2 oz and 20 ½ inches long.


I typed up Sam’s birth story to put in my journal, and I’ll include it here too. This is very lengthy, and I do not expect many people to be interested in all the tiny details except perhaps a few select family members, so this is my disclaimer: You may find this very boring. Consider passing on reading this post and just skip to the pictures. :)

I went in for my OB appointment on Wed morning (March 10th) and was told that I was 4 cm dilated and 90% effaced. My doctor stripped my membranes and said, “I’ll see you at the hospital tonight. And if not tonight, then tomorrow!” He had already told me in recent visits that I would deliver fast and that he wanted to monitor me in labor since I was a VBac, and we had agreed that I would go to the hospital when my contractions were 5 minutes apart.
Within a couple hours after my appointment I was having back pain and I knew right away that my doctor was right about me going into labor that night. I already had my bags packed, Jed had given me a priesthood blessing the week before, we had arrangements for Ben and Eliza, my house was clean… so I felt pretty prepared. :) The only thing to do was take a picture of me at 40 weeks and then wait for labor! Around 4pm I noticed regular but not painful contractions, every 15 or so minutes. Between 6 and 7:30pm I sat on the couch and timed my contractions (10 min apart, 30 seconds long, and getting painful) while Jed wrestled with Ben and Eliza in the front room. Then Jed took the kids to our friends house to go to bed and when he got back home I laid on the bed while he sat in the armchair next to me, and we talked while I worked through the contractions, still about 10 minutes apart. I wasn’t working really hard, just had to concentrate and breathe through the contractions, but it wasn’t very bad. Maybe around 9:00pm they started to get more difficult, but still 9 minutes apart and only 40-50 seconds long. Jed and I still talked between contractions, deciding on the name Samuel for our baby and talking about all kinds of other things. :) We talked about how wonderful it was going to be to have our baby, and hold him and enjoy him. Ah, so exciting! And yet, at the same time, I felt like I had a lot to endure between now and then, and for some reason talking about the prize at the end was slightly depressing. I felt like I still had to “walk through-” and Jed finished for me “the valley of the shadow of death?” and I smiled “yes,” even though that sounded so dramatic.
Around 10pm I started to have a few contractions that were 7 minutes apart, and right about then I started to feel worn down and very uncomfortable. I told Jed we should call my doctor and tell him that I was in labor. We decided to time five or six more contractions so that we could give him a good estimate of where I was in labor. The next couple contractions were 7 minutes apart and 45-60 seconds long. The 60-second long contractions were so awful I wanted to scream, but I worked through them like the others, with relaxation, breathing, and mental imagery-- and repeating to myself, “Oh good, it’s almost over. Oh good, it’s almost over…” when they were half done. J At this point (~10:30pm) I told Jed, “Let’s go to the hospital. I’m feeling like I’m in a lot of pain and if I haven’t progressed much, I just might get an epidural.” Jed was very surprised I wanted to go to the hospital already because I had been very firm that I would not go before the contractions were 5 minutes apart and regularly 50-60 seconds long. (And of course he was probably surprised about me considering an epidural too. J) Jed called my OB and said we were heading to the hospital, and my OB said he would have the resident call him once we arrived to see how far I was progressed.
I was nervous about the car ride to the hospital – if I had contractions like the ones I had been having at home just beforehand, it could be a horrible trip. But I only had a few contractions on the ride there (25 minute trip) and they were only about 35 seconds long. We arrived at the Labor and Delivery Unit sometime after 11:00pm and the nurses said, “She doesn’t need to go to triage, her doctor already called her in a room.” At this point I was feeling pretty good when I was in-between contractions. But when I laid down in the bed, my contractions suddenly started coming 2 ½ minutes apart, and I told Jed, “Get a nurse in here to check me because someone has got to call my doctor right now!” Luckily my doctor was already there – he decided to leave for the hospital when we called him. He came in and checked me and said, “Well, you’re complete. You can start pushing any time.” Wow! I couldn’t believe that I was dilated to a 10 and my contractions never got close together! Although I could believe I was dilated to a 10 by the way I was feeling. It just goes to show that timing contractions is very helpful, but the way I feel and my intuition may be more important when it comes to getting to the hospital! (And it makes me wonder if I was dilated to a 10 for the whole car trip to the hospital when I was in labor with Eliza…)
My OB got everything ready for delivery in the next few minutes and then I started to push. Phase 2 of Labor: Pushing….. Let’s just say that the pushing part of this delivery was the most excruciating and agonizing thing I have ever, or will ever, experience in this life. There. It’s the truth. I don’t take it back. After 15 minutes I started to tell Jed and my doctor, “I can’t do this anymore! I’m going to die!” Luckily I was nearing the end, and they were able to give me a goal for an end in sight. When I said, “How many more? How many more, do you think?” my doctor said, “Only 3 or 4 more.” And then after a few more, “How many more contractions? How many?” and he said, “You are right there. Maybe only 2 or 3 more.” I said, “TWO. Two is the goal. Only two more.” That happened a few times, but it sure did help to have an ending goal in sight – something to work toward. Finally little Samuel was born, and I think I could have passed out with relief! I only pushed for 20 minutes, which is a rather short pushing stage. I can’t fathom having had to push for a minute longer, though! I told Jed and my doctor that next time I'm getting an epidural. I've proved to myself two times, with Eliza and Sam, that I can deliver a baby, and now I think I'm okay with trying out an epidural again. :) My doctor said I better arrive a little earlier next time, then. J (By the way, I don't remember it being so painful with Eliza's delivery, so I don't mean to turn anyone off from a natural childbirth. Hers seemed to be an easier experience.)
Seeing Samuel for the first time was amazing and happy. They immediately laid him down on top of me, and it was incredible to know that this was my tiny sweet baby. I was overcome with awe and gratitude. He was here. He was safe. He was adorable. And I loved him.
Jed cut the cord while I held him for that moment, and then they took him to get weighed and all that while my OB sewed me up (I had about a 2nd degree tear). That seemed to take a loooong time, and later Jed teased me because I kept telling my doctor, “Oh, I really don’t feel good down there. How much longer do you think? Oh, that does not feel good. Are you almost done?” They offered me a shot of Demerol, which I immediately and thankfully accepted. I knew I was being a baby about a little bit of pain and discomfort after just having delivered a baby naturally, so I joked, “I’ll do pain during delivery, but now that he’s born, I don’t want any pain at all. I’ll take anything you’ve got.” :)

When they brought Sam back, I got to cuddle him and I felt so happy to have him here finally! I had ‘walked through the valley of the shadow of death’ like Jed and I had been talking about, and I was on the other side and I was SO THANKFUL! So so so thankful that was behind me and now I could fully enjoy our prize at the end!
Samuel is so darling. He is so sweet and innocent. A precious little boy that has been sent to us. Jed and I just loved holding him and looking at him in the hospital. It seemed such a waste to have him laying in the bassinet when I could be holding him, so he spent a lot of our hospital stay being held and snuggled. :)
Although he definitely has the look of our babies, he also seems to have his own look, too. (More so than Eliza did; Eliza looked a lot like Benjamin.) Jed and I need to pull our Ben and Eliza’s baby books to compare newborn pictures. Sam might have just a tiny bit more hair than they had…. Anyway, he sure is adorable!


Here is Sam with me just after delivery. I could have cropped out my psycho hair even more than I already have, but when I look at those crazy bangs it makes me feel thankful for my sweet and caring husband who tenderly molded them that way as he comforted me in labor. :)

Here is the proud Daddy holding our sweet baby! (Jed still has the remains of his black eyes from his skiing incident two weeks prior. Like my brother pointed out, he looks more banged up than the newborn baby! :) )



Heading home with baby Sam.

29 comments:

Ashley said...

Well, I must be getting close to family because I loved reading that :) I'm so proud of you and so happy that you were in tune with yourself and knew to get to the hospital. Welcome, baby Samuel! You lucky, lucky little boy.

valerie said...

Congratulations!!! He is so cute!! I love his name. So sweet!!!

Mindy said...

After we talked this morning, I was excited to check your blog for the story and pictures. What an adorable baby. Sam really does look SO much like your other two. But I agree, he does have his own look, too.

I have to say that reading your delivery story made me teary eyed. It sounded horrible. And it brought back bad memories of my own delivery. Having a baby is amazing, but I absolutely HATED the delivery. It was stressful, exhausting and very painful. And that was with an epidural (which wore off in the middle of pushing - don't know how you did it the whole time!).

But I did I love watching Melanie's babies being born. I thought they were the most amazing, spiritual moments of my life. And in school, I always thought deliveries were wonderful. I would have glossy eyes even with strangers. It is so special to see a new life come into the world. And mom's work SO hard to get them here.

But since my delivery was just plain awful, I do not look forward to next time (and I don't care if everyone's deliveries are awful... mine was too. :) ). Seriously, a c-section sounds like a good alternative to me. Or just not letting the epidural get even close to wearing off. :)

Anyway, the point I was making is that it is so neat to be able to watch someone else you love give birth. You enjoy all the good parts and support during the bad parts (without actually going through them). Too bad you don't live close so you could enjoy watching me or someone else in the family give birth. I think you would love it.

I am super proud of you, Erin. What a hard experience. I'm glad you have a sweet little baby to show for it. :)

Brittany said...

Oh Erin that made me teary eyed and choked up even though you already told me the story. Childbirth really is a huge test of strength (a million times more if you do it naturally too!!) I have to admit that after talking to you I vowed yet again that I would never do it naturally! :) I'm such a baby though. And I had a wonderful experience with delivery with an epidural. It was happy and exciting. I hope you and Mindy both get to experience that someday. I'm proud of you for doing it naturally though- it was so important to you and it's SUCH an accomplishment.

Little Sam is more adorable than words can say! I LOVE his fat little cheeks!! I wish I could come cuddle him this afternoon and maybe do some laundry for you while you slept... you poor thing! At least you can know that I (along with all your family) are thinking and praying for you guys. I'm so happy that Sam is here, safe and sound!!

I have to add that after I blessed our breakfast this morning Gabe looked up at me and reproachfully reminded me: "bless our Sam!" It was so cute Erin. We love you!!

Nelson Family said...

Erin, you did it!!!! I am so happy for you and so amazed that you did it all natural. I love the name and I can't wait to see the little guy. I hope you are feeling better. love ya guys.

Jenny and Al said...

Congrats on your new arrival, Erin! Both you and little Samuel look adorable. I'm glad you didn't have a delivery at home. :) Good luck with these next few weeks.

Crystal said...

Congrats Erin! This was a great, inspiring birth story! You are AMAZING! :) I am glad that Samuel made it here safe! He looks like an angel! Way to go Momma! :)

Katie said...

Congrats! He is beautiful! Take care!

Melanie Anne said...

Oh Erin...that was such a sweet birth story! You are amazing and STRONG and I am sure there were angels there to help you thru "the valley of the shadow of death"! I am so proud of you! You are awesome! What a sweet darling baby Samuel is! I loved those last pictures in those baggy newborn clothes. So cute!! I wish I could snuggle him up--he is just precious!! I sure love you and your family so much!
XOXOXOXOXO

Jennie said...

Way to go Erin!! I laughed at your birth story because it was a lot like mine with Ambree! He is darling! I hope you are recovering well! Let me know if you need any babysitting or meals!

Melissa said...

Congrats! I am so glad that you had another vbac!!!! Go you! He is precious!

Julianne said...

YAY!! Congratulations! And, of course, I love the name! Two Sammy's in the family now! That last picture of you with him -- he looks like such a doll.

I'm so interested in your birth story, too...I'm thinking of going natural on Baby #2 (which I'm not currently expecting, but someday) and I'm always fascinated to hear what others have to say.

Anyway - congratulations. He is a dollie, and I hope you get some good sleep soon!

Bonnie LePage said...

I love the name Samuel! It fits perfectly with Benjamin and Eliza.

Congratulations! He is adorable!

Allison Tuttle said...

Erin, Congratulations!! He is beautiful, and I am SO impressed with you going natural! Way to go! I will be praying you and Sam get good sleep and that this transition time is smooth.

~A

hayley said...

Congratulations! Sorry, but I love birthing stories and just had to read. Way to go natural, you are sooo tough:) After I did a natural birth with #1 and then had an epidural with #2 I felt like I could enjoy the birthing process so much more. I hope your recovery goes well!

Jill said...

Your amazing! Congrats on your beautiful baby! I had thoughts on going natural next time, but after reading this...maybe not :)

Jill said...

Your amazing! Congrats on your beautiful baby! I had thoughts on going natural next time, but after reading this...maybe not :)

Missy said...

Erin, what a great birth story! I thought of that same phrase when I was giving birth to Adelaide. There really is nothing like childbirth, it is such an amazing and traumatic experience. And I can't believe you went natural. Way to go!

Anyway, your baby is beautiful. Well done :)

Amy said...

Waahooo! I've been checking your blog everyday for this post! I'm so excited for our new nephew and just wish we were there. The name Samuel is fits perfectly! Will he go by Samuel or Sam do you think?!

I read and loved all the details about our little Samuel's birth. Thank you for posting them. Erin, he is just precious and perfect in every way. This just brings back a flood of memories from a few months ago when I was having Logan. Giving birth is one of the most remarkable experiences this life can offer. I cannot believe how brave and strong you were to do it naturally. After feeling the pain of real labor, I literally cannot even imagine doing it without an epidural. I must have a really low pain tolerance:) Keep the pictures coming as much as you can. I know how quickly they change. You are AMAZING and what a beautiful, tiny miracle for all your hard work!

Anonymous said...

I was so moved by you sharing your experience in bringing little Samuel into the world. I am SO excited to come be with your little family and enjoy everyone. You are a blessing to your family with your sweet, kind and loving personality. You make me want to be a better person. Love Grandma Walker

Jessica said...

Congrats on your new little guy! I actually am interested in your story, and it's so interesting how different labor can be. That this was much more painful than Eliza, and for me, stage 2 pushing was actually not as painful as the transition contractions. I actually felt good pushing. I guess it's good to know it can always be totally different. Great job on 2 natural deliveries! That is awesome!

Anonymous said...

Geeze. ....I'm the only "guy" to write in these things! But, reading your account of this experience really humbled me, honey. You admit to "walking thru the shadow of the valley of death"....and the following sentence talk about your "next" one. You, your sisters and mother are truely my heroes! You deserve all the love and adoration this world can give. I'm thankful you and little Samuel are fine. I love you, darl'n. Dad

Mindy said...

Erin, I just reread my comment and realized how vehement I sounded. I think I just felt so broken after I had Jack, and all the trauma of having him is just super etched into my brain. But there were things I loved about being in labor. I loved the knowledge that you were finally going to meet this little person that has been living in you for nine months. I loved all the family support. Seriously, it was so neat to have our moms and Griff in the room with me. And then when all of my sisters came in when I was pushing, all their love and support brought me a second wind. I cherish that memory. I really needed them right then, and it was so neat to have them there. Especially since most of you will probably never be at any other deliveries. And I don't know if I have ever felt as loved by my husband as I did the night I delivered Jack. And greeting my child for the first time (after he was breathing) was amazing. I also thought it was amazing to see all the nurses, doctors, respiratory therapists work so hard and efficiently to revive my baby. So there are a many things I did like about the experience. I love you, sis!

Sook said...

Congratulations! He is very beautiful!

Chrissy said...

Congrats Erin! I am soooo happy for you!! What a little cutie pie.

Melody said...

This was not in the least bit boring. I enjoyed every detail. What a great birth story. You are an inspiration and I just adore you.
The picture of you full term is priceless. One day your kids will really be able to see what your tiny body went through for them. Love you girl,
melody

Marnie said...

Congratulations on your sweet baby boy. He is adorable and we are so happy for you!

Merianne said...

I haven't checked out blogs in a long time and had no idea your baby was born. Congratulations you guys! He's a cutie pie!

Wilsons said...

Erin-
I loved your birthing story! You say it so well! Congrats on the beautiful little boy!