Friday, September 9, 2011

a quick trip to Island Park

While we were in Montana, Jed and I left the kids with Michel and took a mini vacation to Island Park, Idaho, where they have a cabin. After arriving, we spent the day canoeing around Wade Lake. Isn't it pretty?


At the tip of one of the arms of the lake, the water is shallow and we could see the fish darting around the canoe below us. Jed fished for a while as I maneuvered our canoe to the good spots in the water. After chasing the fish around a while, Jed caught one. It was pretty exciting to get one. 


That night we went in to West Yellowstone, a town nearby. There is a theater there called The Playmill Theater, which I just LOVE! Last year we saw Beauty and the Beast there and loved it.  Apparently, BYU drama students work here during the summers, and their productions are awesome! The theater is very small and intimate, so you can see every expression on the actors' faces. Anyway, this year we went to see Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.  WOW. It was so good! I absolutely loved it. I think it is my favorite play ever. The music is fantastic and funny, and we have been listening to it nonstop ever since. Really, I have been listening to it all the time ever since we got back, and Ben has portions of it memorized.  We all have fun serenading Ben, "Benjamin, you nasty youth! Your crime has shocked me to the core! Never in my whole career have I encountered this before! Guards! Seize him! Lock him in the cell. Throw the key into the Nile as well!"  We all get a big kick out of that, especially Ben!  I will have to record him singing this, as well as the Close Every Door to Me song. He remembers the tunes even when I forget them.

The next day Jed and I rented a motor boat and went out on Wade Lake again. We saw eagles flying around the tall pine trees as we fished. Later in the afternoon, Jed jumped off this super high rope swing that was probably a 20-25 foot drop into the cold water.  He is nuts!  I was lucky enough to get out of it because it was overcast that day and getting chilly. If it had been a hot day, though, there's no way I would have got out of there dry. :)

 (still on his way out and up...)

 (about to let go...)

 At this point, if it had been me I would have screamed, "What have I done?!  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!"  In fact, when I was video taping Jed, I couldn't help but blurt out, "Oh no!" when he was falling. :)


9 comments:

Melody said...

I loved reading the Montana recap. The lake looks so fun! I can not believe Jed did that jump. I would have been totally freaked out. I wonder if I could have done it. Like you, maybe, if it was really sunny. That playhouse sounds really cool too. I'm so glad you had such a fun vacation!

Melanie Anne said...

What a fun little "mimi moom" getaway!! That place is GORGEOUS! And the play sounds so fun! Good job Jed on the HUGE jump! very impressive!!

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

SO fun Erin!!! You guys are THE cutest couple ever. It looks like a fantastic trip! I don't get to check blogs often, but when I do, I LOVE reading yours. :) What a blessed lady you are and have such an amazing family. And, you don't age a day my dear. Or Jed. You two are adorable together. Hope you are well!! Big hugs, Ashlie

Laura said...

Erin, You look so beautiful! And you made me want to take a vacation to Island Park. That looks amazing!

wilson said...

How fun! My mom's side of the family has a reunion in Island Park every 4th of July..We love going there too! Montana looks beautiful! What a fun trip.

Jared Sterzer said...

Erin I actually worked at the Playmill Theatre for two summers.

Erin said...

Jared, that is to cool!! I couldn't say enough about how much I love that theater. I wish I could have been there when you were working there! Did you have a great time working there? It seems like it would be so fun to get to act all summer long. Anyway, that is pretty cool!

Jan S said...

Oh I loved those pictures - how fun that you could take this little vacation away. That is fun theatre - your cousin Jared worked there and we went with Uncle Ric and Aunt Susan to see a play there. It is fun, isn't it!

Brittany said...

those pics were amazing!!! what a neat trip! I loved hearing about the canoeing, boating and fishing. THe pics of the rope swing...crazy cool! :) And the play sounded wonderful! i have never seen taht one but after your glowing review, I would love to!