I am wearing old platform flipflops, and I'm not even in the deepest part, so it would come to my knees without shoes! I asked my neighbor across the street (who was also out marveling at the water) to take these two pictures of me in front of my house. :)
Eliza wanted to come out too. She is standing on our front sidewalk.
I snapped a pic of a truck braving the water...
And even though this is fuzzy, it helps show how deep it is!
It is still raining hard out there. I am going to go see how deep it is in an hour. :) Luckily the houses on the block are up on an incline from the street. And we don't have a basement so I guess that's a good thing today.
*Update:
At 11am Eliza had preschool at my friend, Britni's house. I called my other friend, Jen, to see if she could pick up Eliza since I couldn't get out of my driveway. So Eliza and I walked to the end of the street where Jen picked her up. On the way back I waded in to see how much deeper it was, and I heard a voice from my door, "What is going on?!!" It was Jed, awake from sleeping after his night shift last night. He was standing on our step in shock at all the water! I gave him a sheepish smile and he laughed and said, "Are you out here playing in it?" I denied it, saying, "No - I had to take Eliza down the street to catch her ride to preschool... and then I just wanted to see how deep it was..." and he started laughing at me, because he knows I love sloshing through deep water puddles. Anyway, I made him take another picture of me, showing how the water has risen. Then I sloshed around picking up floating pizza boxes and such, from the garbage cans waiting along our street. (This morning they were all floating in the water, tipped over, until my nice neighbor picked everyone's garbages up and took them to higher ground.)
Our garbage collectors are pretty dedicated, don't you think?
*4:30pm update!
The water has gone down some, but there is still a whole lot of water out there. Now that Ben is home from school, all the neighborhood kids are having a heyday! Eliza, Jed, and Sam all came out to play, too. :) (Eliza is wearing her swimming suit under her sweatshirt. I figured, 'Why not?' :) )



10 comments:
oh wow!!! THat is crazy! You are flooded in! Can Jed even get to work? Was school cancelled? It would ahve been here:) ha ha! Do you remember when the streets would flood in the monsoon season in AZ? We would float down the street in pool floats! Have fun in your flood:) xo
That is so crazy. Jen told me you guys were flooded. I can't believe how much more rain you have gotten, and we're maybe a mile apart from each other. CRAZY!!! I love that you're playing in it.
Wow, that is crazy! At least the kids (and you) had a good time :)
wow! that is nuts!!!
~selina
Oh my goodness! I have never seen flooding like that before in our old neck of the woods! You are such a cool Mom to be out there playing in it and then to take the kids out to play!
Holy Cow! That is crazy! You are such a fun mom to be out playing in it. Your kids will remember that forever! I wish I wasn't such a germ freak so I could enjoy moments like that!
Oh my goodness Erin. That is a crazy amount of water. Hopefully everything is back to normal now. You have such a sweet family. Hope you are all doing well. Love you!
Wow! You called and told us about it but until I saw the pics, I had no idea. Do you remember when we got floods like this in Arizona in August? You kids loved going out and wading in the water -- it's in your blood now, haha!
I loved that picture of Ben on his bike - he was determined to up on it!
I cant' believe I forgot to check your blog until now! I remember you talking about how crazy it was but a picture really does say a thousand words! :) that looks amazing!! I would have been out playing in it for sure! haha - seriously that would have been so fun to be a kid that day! :)
I love the pictures Erin! What a fun memory for you guys to get to play out in the water. I'm glad it didn't go any higher :)
Post a Comment