Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Nursery Colors

After much deliberation, I've decided I might sew the new baby's bumper pad and dust ruffle myself (with considerable help from my mother-in-law!). I think I've settled on this palette:
I'm thinking I would like the dust ruffle to look something like this.

And this would be the bumper pad, with the edging and ties in pomegranate:
I'll make a window valance that is the same design as the dust ruffle.

I really love these fabrics. They are warm and inviting. And I really wanted to incorporate that robin-egg blue. But, I am still not sure this is a good idea.... I mean, this isn't going to be cheap, and it's going to be a lot of work since I'm a poor seamstress. If I could only find something that I really love that is premade and not completely out of my price range, then I could buy it and have it all done, but I just can't find anything that has these colors, or this look.

7 comments:

Melody said...

Great find! I love the ones you chose!

Melanie said...

Erin, that fabric is so cute. If it were me, I would go with your second example and do the dust ruffle with the roses/blue background, the pomegranate stripe and the roses/cream background on bottom because then your idea of doing the bumper pads as the roses/cream background would tie it in. It would be so elegant - I'm totally impressed you are sewing it on your own!

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

LOVE it!!! So feminine and timeless! I think it will look great!

Jodie B. said...

It is a great combination and very soft colors. I like it! Be sure to post a picture of the finished product. I know is will be great- you are way talented!

Anonymous said...

I envy this motivation and energy! I think I probably would have settled for something not nearly as pretty b/c I would never get past the daunting task of choosing fabric, let alone the actual sewing. Of course, this is the girl who had to unpick her fleece vest in high school sewing at least 7 times. :) Good luck, sis. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Jill said...

How beautiful you are so talented!

Anonymous said...

Erin that looks darling and so classy. I can't imagine sewing my own bedding set but then you get exactly what you want...AND it will feel extra special because you made it for her. It's going to be beautiful.