I finished reading a fantastic book, Celia Garth, by Gwen Bristow. This novel was set in Charleston, South Carolina, during the Revolutionary War. I love books, fiction and nonfiction, about American History. I love learning about the heroes during the Revolutionary War and Civil War, those that gave great sacrifices and led the people in the cause they believed in. In this particular novel, it goes into some detail about the rebel resistance in Charleston after the British captured the city, in about 1780. One of my favorite quotes from the book is about the people who were part of the resistance: “Celia wondered how many people there were who, like herself, led a secret life. People who seemed colorless, but who actually were walking hand in hand with glory.” (p. 294) That gave me a shiver when I read it. There were so many people during those wars that were courageous and patriotic, who didn’t do it for recognition or glory, but for the cause of freedom. This novel made me recognize and feel the terror of the war, when people’s homes were ransacked and the inhabitants murdered during raids by the invading army, when soldiers died in battle and skirmishes and left behind loved ones who mourned for them. But it also showed how the citizens rallied and fought back, how the patriot soldiers regrouped and continued to fight, hiding in the swamps to avoid being captured, and how they all hung on to that glimmer of hope that they would be able to ultimately win the war, and win their independence.
Today Benjamin and I went to the library and we happened to pick out a book about American History. As I looked at the portraits of John Adams, Thomas Paine, Harriet Tubman, Abraham Lincoln, and so forth, I felt…. well, it’s hard to describe the emotion I felt, and I always feel about American History. I felt deep respect and gratitude, almost a lump in my throat; I felt thankful for our country and for the people who founded it and fought for it during those difficult times. I guess the best way of describing it is a feeling of patriotism. I love the United States; I hope I can teach my children how incredible the events were that surrounded the founding of this nation, and how blessed we are to live here.'These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated. Britain, with an army to enforce her tyranny, has declared that she has a right (not only to TAX) but "to BIND us in ALL CASES WHATSOEVER" and if being bound in that manner, is not slavery, then is there not such a thing as slavery upon earth. Even the expression is impious; for so unlimited a power can belong only to God.'

The Crisis, by Thomas Paine
December 23, 1776
December 23, 1776


9 comments:
I LOVE Celia Garth! I got that book this summer too and love it! Especially since reading 1776 this summer, I have felt some of those same feelings about our country. And I love that quote by Thomas Paine, thanks for sharing it.
I feel so patriotic! I love your incite! I agree, I love the rich history of our nation and all the selfless acts to get us to where we are today! Thanks for the rejuvenation!
This has nothing to do with your post, (which was great!), but today at lunch, Caitlyn said, "Benjamin is such a nice little boy mom." =) Thanks for raising a good boy! (At least I won't be lying when I tell her there ARE some out there..SOMEwhere!) ;)
This has nothing to do with your post either, but CONGRATULATIONS on a girl!! How fun, I didn't even know you were expecting!! One of each is a lot of fun :) I also LOVE the picture of Benjamin in the sun! He looks like he loved it!
WOW i am so impressed your kids are going to develope a love for books..too way to go..
Erin- I've always appreciated your patriotism. It's one thing, out of many, I've always admired about you!! Thank you for reminding me, especially today, how lucky we are to live in this wonderful country!! I am humming, "America, America!" :)
Beautifully said Erin. Your words are very apropriate at a time when we all need to feel a healthy dose of good American Patriotism and fight for what is right in our country.
I couldn't agree more. I'm so proud of our heritage...forefathers (and mothers :)) that were rebels in every sense of the word...that were willing to sacrifice anything, even their lives, for freedom for theirselves and their children. We are so blessed.
Erin, you are a gifted writer. I share your deep love of our country and a profound gratitude for those who have made it great. I haven't read Celia Garth, but I've meant to for years. I'll have to now. Love you.
Post a Comment