Saturday, January 31, 2009

livin' in Motor City

The perks to living in Motor City. Jed and Benjamin are trying this Viper on for size. How do they look? (Oh yeah, Benjamin wouldn't look at the camera, so I guess you can't see them...) Anyway, take my word for it - They belong in that car! :)

We went to the North American International Auto Show in Detroit last weekend. We took the youth (YM/YW) to the show. It was pretty cool. Tons of crazy cars. One of the Bentley convertibles was priced at $400,000. Most of the cars were available to sit in and open & close the trunk, etc. Here's my favorite - it was a crazy gangster car with doors that open vertically and a trunk that opened backwards. The convertible top on it was crazy. This was one of the most fascinating cars, so I took a pic with it. :)

Let's see - other things we've been doing this month...
shoveling snow, walking in snow, playing in snow, driving in snow, watching it snow...






Seriously, it's been snowing nonstop. The first week of January Jed and Benjamin made this awesome snowman in the front yard. And IT'S STILL THERE. I never ever have seen a snowman that survived this long. He's like a part of the family now. I think we'll all start crying when we find him melted.... in May.
There have only been two or so days warm enough to pack the snow, and on the second day we made this 'tree man' in our back yard. I wanted to make another snowman to keep the first one company, but I wasn't willing to trudge in the wet snow in the front yard since I have no boots or snowpants. (boohoo!) So instead, we stayed safely on the walkway and created this masterpiece.
As for Eliza, what has she been up to? Well, she spends a lot of time whining and crying OR being with Mommy. :) That's right - she likes to be with me. all day. and sometimes being NEAR me doesn't cut it. HOLDING my legs is better, but BEING HELD is best. She's still as devoted as ever. :) Although for some reason, she's always happy in her booster seat. Jed teases me that I leave her in there all day, and wonders what the dr. would say if I took her to her appointment in her booster chair. :) (I think it's because she's on the same level as us and feels more included. Same reason why she loves being on the bed.) The other day she got distracted by rifling through my diaper bag and ripping up my grocery list into tiny bits. I had to take a picture because it was pretty unusual for her to be content while also being all alone. She always likes to be WITH us - and who can blame her? She gets that from me, Jed says. I like company too. :)
Our friends, who have a 1-year old boy, babysat Eliza while we were at the Auto Show. When I picked her up, the husband told me, "She's a tank!" That made me laugh. She is pretty hefty compared to a few of the other 1-year-olds we know. She still has those big chubby rolls on her legs and the chubby baby body. I love it!

6 comments:

Diann said...

LOL! I got a good chuckle out of this post! I can so relate to the "whining and crying" bit. Lia does pretty good most of the day. She is like the Energizer Bunny and just keeps going from sun-up to sun-down and then some! But, at least twice a day she goes through the major whining thing. It's enough to make me sit in the corner and do a lot of my own whining!!

Michel said...

What a creative family, I have never seen a tree man but that was way cute. I can see why Elize wants to be with you always, you ARE loving and fun :). I love all posts. Love Grandma

P.S. Your purple jacket looks awesome!

Jan S said...

Loved that post showing the creative snowman (At least I THINK it's a snowman- or maybe a totem pole???). Eliza is so cute. She looks so intent there in the picture! Miss you . . .Love, Mom

Melanie Anne said...

These pictures are great! That car show looks really cool. I will have to show the boys the pictures in the morning. They would love to go to that. Eliza is a such a cutie. I wish you were closer and could drop her off and I could hold her for you --I would enjoy a little girl time. Cannon is the oposite right now. He does NOT want to be held. He is busy busy. I sure miss you. Oh and VERY COOl snowmen. I love the face on that one. XOXOX

Mindy said...

The cars were super cool! Griff and I went to a couple of auto expos when we were dating... I loved the concept cars. Pretty fun to see them all, though. And Jed definitely looks great in a viper... maybe he'll get one some day when he is a rich doctor and let us drive in it. haha. The Tree-snowman is very cool! I've been waiting to see a picture of him ever since I interrupted you while you were making it. And I love that little picture of Eliza! Hearing about her just makes me want to hold her and see those cute little chubby legs first hand. :)

Brittany said...

that was so cute - it's got to be hard to have Eliza always wanting to be held! If the booster makes her happy then go ahead and take it to the Drs! :) It was particularly funny to read about you love and loyalty to the now deceased snowman! lol!!