Ben turned 7 years old on July 5th 2012. We had a big birthday party for him at our
house, complete with games (including the wrapped-up candybar passing game that
my Mom did for us at our parties growing up), a piñata, and cake &
icecream! Unfortunately, my camera
battery was dead when I tried to take pictures at the party. After putting in a new battery and seeing
that it also needed to be charged, I had to give up. After all, I was entertaining 13 kids – my own
one-woman show – and I had to get back to the party. :) Luckily my video camera lasted for a few minutes
before its battery also died on me. (I know, I was cursed!) But at least I have some footage of the piñata.
Ben, Eliza, and I had been working on our piñata almost every day for the past
week. We made it out of paper maché.
Here we are creating our masterpiece piñata. It was the first experience I have had with paper maché, and it was fun! :) We decorated it with tissue paper the
morning of the party, and since we didn’t have time for a lot of glue to dry,
we had to be stingy with the glue… which led to our decorative scrunched-up
tissue paper pieces falling off as we were trying to put them on… which led to
frustration… which led to abandoning trying to make our piñata cute and just
calling it good. Hence our ‘unique’ piñata! But hey, the kids could care less
what it looks like as long as it’s got the goods inside. :)
Earlier in the week Ben had promised Eliza that she could go first to hit the piñata.
But when everyone laughed when she
missed the first swing, I think she felt foolish, so she
didn’t really want to do it again. Since I had already done some coaxing to get
her to put the blindfold on, I let her go to the back of the line so she could
get comfortable with it before her next turn- and realize that everyone laughs
when we miss the piñata, including the swinger! She had fun watching everyone,
and felt perfectly ready to participate on her next turn. :)
I had to limit it to three swings so all the kids could have at least two
turns. :)
We had lost our electricity that morning from 5am until 11:30am, so we were
*this* close to having to forgo a birthday cake and just having icecream. But
luckily the power came back on at 11:30am, just in time for me to pop a cake
into the oven. Alas, there was no time to frost it, but again, the kids didn’t
notice the difference: “Cake with frosting, cake without – no diff. I’ll take
it.”
That evening, once Jed got home from work, we opened up presents from his Grandma
Walker and Grammy Sterzer, some of which were a chessboard, a compartmentalized
piggy bank, and a rash guard (swim shirt). Then Jed
and I gave him our present – a brand new bike! The one we presented to him turned out to be a bit too big, so he and Jed went back and switched it for one that fit him better, and viola! He's got a sweet new ride!
We had a fun day, and Ben enjoyed every bit of it. Happy Birthday Ben! We love
you!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Happy Happy Birthday Ben!! WIsh we could have been there to help you celebrate! The pinate making is so cool! You guys are so ambitious! I am very impressed:) xoxo
Post a Comment