Monday, August 13, 2012

Ben's coach-pitch ball, summer 2012

This summer was Ben's third year of city league baseball. This year it was coach pitch, and he got a medal at the end of the season. On our way to the medal ceremony, we were stopped by a train. There are lots of trains around here in Detroit and they just randomly cut off traffic at will. Depending on the particular track I'm stuck at, I know which trains will go by quickly and which will be so slow that they will actually go backwards sometimes. Well, this was a slow one. We waited for a while, but when it stopped all together, we turned around and tried a different route, but the same looooong train was also cutting off that road as well. So we went all the way back home and took the freeway ramp near our house and headed North. We waved to the still-stopped train, and the line of waiting cars, as we went over it on the overpass. But unfortunately we were 45 minutes late by that time and I prepped Ben telling him we definitely missed the medal ceremony but we could still go to get hotdogs and chips. You wouldn't believe it, but after we parked, unloaded, and walked to the pavilion, his team was just getting ready to get on the stage to get their medals! His team was the last in line of the entire league! He was pretty excited that he still got to go on the stage to receive his medal. I think it was a tender mercy. 


Here is a short clip of him hitting the ball a few times during his games.

2 comments:

Jan S said...

Wow, Ben, that is a pretty cool medal! I am so glad you had fun playing ball this year. Baseball is my favorite sport so I'm glad you like it, too.
XOXO
Grammy.

Mindy said...

I forgot how cute kids are playing baseball. I can't wait for my boys to play! I'm glad Ben got to get his medal, too. I know what you mean about tender mercies. Go Ben!